Author Topic: SONNTAG/BESCHORNER Bohemian mystery  (Read 1034 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SONNTAG/BESCHORNER Bohemian mystery
« on: Wednesday 14 June 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Where did they come from and where did they go!

I have the birth record of my gtgtaunt Anna Maria FRITSCH born 1885  Schönborn; now Krásný Studenec,  Děčín region, Czech Republic. There is a note to say that in 1912 she married Viktor Herman SONNTAG, son of Sigmund SONNTAG and Sophe maiden name BESCHORNER at Bodenbach (now known as Podmokly)

I have not yet tracked down this marriage.

I have not been able to find out any more about the SONNTAG / BESCHORNER family and have so far not found any other reference to these surnames in the  Děčín area.

Top record on page

http://vademecum.soalitomerice.cz/vademecum/PaginatorMedia.action?_sourcePage=38PxljoBxNcVMi01V8JgZcUN5LwYXihFXCh1wvFlUrwbJ1Tm24m3BN3Un0e2nGc2LD5_XK7xI2s9PV41_oGByRuv6nz6KNq6LemmjeauYnw%3D&row=103

My father can remember visiting the SONNTAG family farm at Schönborn when he was a small child so this would be the  1930's. We do not know what happened to them after WW2 - I presume being ethnic Germans they would have been expelled in the 1940's. Some Fritsch family settled in Bavaria, but my branch moved to Heidelberg as my granddad was a printer and he knew this was a centre for the printing industry.

I have looked at the 1921 census for Schönborn but did not find them, so perhaps they moved away and came back later on.

Has anyone any ideas where else to search or come accross these surnames?

I do not know if the family kept to the Catholic faith. In later life my granddad attended the Evangelisch church in Heidelberg.

I am assuming it is the Bodenbach/Podmokly in   Děčín District though I have just  found there are 2 more in  Plzeň Region. However,I have no other links to  Plzeň and the FRITSCH family roots were formerly in  Huntířov (German: Güntersdorf) , a village and municipality (obec) in Děčín District in the Ústí nad Labem Region of the Czech Republic. They did not seem to venture very far as I have traced them back there to the early 1700's!

Any ideas gratefully received.

Helen.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SONNTAG/BESCHORNER Bohemian mystery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
Just checked B/M/D indexes 1850-1920's Podmokly in Plzeň and drawn a blank regarding SONNTAG /BESCHORNER, so  do definitely think they will be found somewhere round  Děčín
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
 Have checked some of the links and found a few Sonntags at Kopec (Staré Křečany) and Nové Křečany  but not Sigmund or Viktor. There do not seem to be very many judging by the few times the name crops up in the parish indexes .

Yes , Benešov nad Ploučnicí is in the Ústí nad Labem or Ústecký Region. The Fritsch family came from Huntířov (German: Güntersdorf) which is also in the same area.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thought I would bring this search up to date in case anyone is interested.

I managed to find Viktor SONNTAG, wife Anna (born FRITSCH) and his family - Kurt b. 1912 and Viktor 1914 b. in the 1921 census living in Tetschen ( Děčín), where they had a paper dealing business at 3 Marktplatz. Viktor also produced postcards. Here is one

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Austria-Hungary-Bodenbach-railway-tunnel-Schaferwand-1913-postcard-/371731930594

By 1937 it was quite a big business - here is an invoice with a picture of his premises

http://www.ebay.at/itm/2-Rechnungen-V-Sonntag-Papierwaren-Tetschen-1937-/111385237433

A tip for anyone interested in finding ancestors from Tetschen-Bodenbach district or other places in the Litomerice area  - I used the Directory for 1920/21 which lists inhabitants of all the surrounding villages as well as the bigger towns, to get an address and then looked at the 1921 census. You still have to search through the census as it is not indexed, but if you can narrow an address down it does help. There is a link here
for directories in the Litomerice archives

http://vademecum.soalitomerice.cz/vademecum/pages/adresare.jsp

The census gave a birthplace of Schönau (now Šanov) near Schildberg (Štíty) Moravia. This enabled me to find him with his parents Sigmund SONNTAG  born Schönau (Hohenstadt area) 1857 and Sofia maiden name BESCHORNER born Herautz (Hohenstadt) now  Heroltice. Luckily there are a few different census years available for Schönau on familysearch.

Here is the 1900 census. You can see that there is a stepdaughter Sofia FELZMANN born 1880 and that her mother moved to  Schönau  in 1884, so this gives an idea of when they married. I do need a bit of help with the names of the 2 daughters . I think the one born 1891 is Hermine, but I am stuck with the last child born 1893.

Can anyone help?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89XB-QSX6?i=186&wc=Q67Z-5FF%3A1291767302%2C1291786104%2C226977403%2C1291809602&cc=1930345

Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I read the name of the last child as Gisela.

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Svenja. I have found the records for  Šanov  are  held at  Zamersk, so will see if I can find the baptisms.

Regards,
 Helen.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS