Author Topic: James MILLER again (Auchterarder, Perthshire)  (Read 934 times)

Offline higgypee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James MILLER again (Auchterarder, Perthshire)
« on: Wednesday 14 June 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
James Miller was born 19/10/1859 in Auchterarder, Perthshire. His birth certificate states that he is illegitimate and his name is James STEIN. I have found his mother (Margaret Stein) but can find no reason why his birth certificate has him as Stein but on the 1861 census he is named as James Miller. When he got married to Catherine Jones in 1893 he named his father as James Miller (deceased).

In the 1880's he moved with his mother, step father and half siblings to Liverpool. In 1901 he was with his wife and children (Margaret, Helen, Anthony, Lillie and Rose) and I have him in 1911 back living with his mother and grandmother. Catherine was in the workhouse in Liverpool on the 1911 census and the children were split up. My GF was in another workhouse in 1911, aged 5. Little wonder that he turned out to be a nasty piece of work.

So, I have 2 issues that I really need help with. I have been struggling with these now for more than a week. If anyone can provide me with pointers I will be very grateful.

1) Who was James Miller, the father of my GGF, who must have been in Perthshire in 1860, and probably in Auchterarder as my GGGM was a farm servant and presumably didn't travel far

2) When and were did James Miller die. I would love to know why the family split up, but that seems a far stretch to discover unless someone on this forum is a distant relative and knows the family history that was never discusses in my family

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James MILLER again (Auchterarder, Perthshire)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
James Miller was born 19/10/1859 in Auchterarder, Perthshire. His birth certificate states that he is illegitimate and his name is James STEIN. I have found his mother (Margaret Stein) but can find no reason why his birth certificate has him as Stein but on the 1861 census he is named as James Miller. When he got married to Catherine Jones in 1893 he named his father as James Miller (deceased).

Very common for illegitimate children to go by the surname of their reputed father. Also, you see them swapping between their mother's maiden name and their father's surname. Just the way it way really...

Monica  :)

Added: Just including link to your previous post as it has so much info already for background here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=772992.0
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk