Author Topic: MERCER from Portadown  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Ryan1

• RootsChat Member
  • Miss Winx
    • View Profile
MERCER from Portadown
« on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, looking for any information about the family of Henry Mercer and Jane Chapman, Armagh Marriage Licence recorded 1.1.1821.  He was a farmer possibly in Portadown area.  A son Henry born about 1833/34.  Family were Catholic.  Any information welcome.  Thanks.  Daniel.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MERCER from Portadown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Online Catholic Parish Registers-
http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
I do have this couple in my research but not as Catholic so I might have something wrong and I'll have to look into that. I have them in Unshina (various spellings).

I have good evidence there were an Arthur Mercer and Anne Chapman in Unshina and they were Protestant. Arthur Mercer was a successful linen manufacturer with a large family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, looking for any information about the family of Henry Mercer and Jane Chapman, Armagh Marriage Licence recorded 1.1.1821.  He was a farmer possibly in Portadown area.  A son Henry born about 1833/34.  Family were Catholic.  Any information welcome.  Thanks.  Daniel.

I'm not sure that they were Catholic either  :-\

1901 census shows that all of the Mercers in Co. Armagh were Protestant and this site lists the marriage in Drumcree Parish Church (Church of Ireland)-
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Chapman-10228

Offline Ryan1

• RootsChat Member
  • Miss Winx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your reply and information.  When Henry married in Australia it was at a Catholic Church, his wife was Catholic and his children were raised as Catholics.  I know nothing more about Henry's parents except their names so its possible that he could have been born Protestant and converted to marry.  Ansimi as you have this couple in your research, would you keep my post in mind should you have any further information please.  Aghadowey, I saw that wikitree reference however there is no source material recorded for it!!!!!!!  Kindest regards Daniel.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
PRONI have microfilmed records for Drumcree Parish Church- marriages 1802-1903 so it would be easy enough to verify the marriage record exists.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf