Author Topic: Biritsh Soldiers receiving shelter in Antwerp during WW2  (Read 812 times)

Offline Vera9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Biritsh Soldiers receiving shelter in Antwerp during WW2
« on: Thursday 15 June 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
During WW2 6 British soldiers were helped to find hiding  from the Germans in my grandparents home for a period of time in Deurne/Antwerp Belgium.  Although I realise we may never find out who the solders were, and what happened to them once they left the safety of my grandparents home. It would be lovely if this memory rang a bell with somebody and more information could be obtained.  The British archives are unfortunately not able to assist.
Much obliged.

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Biritsh Soldiers receiving shelter in Antwerp during WW2
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I cannot give you any information, but I would just like to say thank you to your brave grandparents for risking their lives to help our soldiers.

RRTB

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you're familiar with Sites on the Belgian Resistance during WW2? These entries cover some of it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Resistance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witte_Brigade

Another thought... if you could narrow down the timescale somewhat, it might be possible to check which Regiments were involved at that particular point in time. Regimental Diaries might hold more information, but obviously helps to know which ones to look at(!)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Vera9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind answer. It is our hope that these brave men were able to return to their homes after the war and lived happy rewarding lives.

Offline Vera9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
Yes we will continue to try to narrow down the timeline, It is very unfortunate that we are starting this search this late, with most of our older family members no longer here, Who knows something may pop up. :)
Thank you

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
Yes we will continue to try to narrow down the timeline, It is very unfortunate that we are starting this search this late, with most of our older family members no longer here, Who knows something may pop up. :)
Thank you

Vera, - my opinion, (for what it's worth:-) is that it's never too late to try! I don't know if you've ever read 'Love and War in the Apennines' by Eric Newby?

https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780007367894/love-and-war-in-the-apennines

Obviously, Italy rather than Belgium, but shows the incredible lengths that local people went to to help Allied Soldiers, despite great personal risk to themselves and their families...

Autograph albumns were big during WW2, - did the British soldiers leave any messages or sketches, or were they with your Grandparents for too short a time scale? Were any names, (or nick names ) mentioned during later recollections?

I've found during my family history research, that even little, unsubstantial, and sometimes discarded scraps can help to build the bigger picture...

Don't give up with this!

Best Wishes, Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Vera. I wish you all the luck in the world in your search for these men.

I think that many of us can understand your frustration with having so little to go on, but I agree with Romilly that you should not give up - often those tiny little clues can lead to something.

I can see a film in this story.  :)

Offline Vera9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 June 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
My sister is heading the research as she is writing a book on the live of my great-grandmother. My grandfather fought on the front in Yper during WW1 where he blew the clarion for the 1st Cav, 2nd bat, 8th company, he was honored with the Warcross for his services and it is about the fighting at the Yper that the family usually spoke about...it is only recently that we discovered through interviews with distant family members that during WW2 the soldiers had been kept in hiding in the family home.... it appears even some of the family must not have know about this. It does make us very proud about them....kind of throws a totally different light on them for their courage, so much more so that we hope all 6 eventually did survive the horror of war and were able to return home.
We will keep on digging. Thank you for all the suggestions, if my sister does find small papers etc as you say I might once again call on you for advice how to go about digging deeper.
Sincerely
Vera