Author Topic: Thomas Barlow of Collingbourne Ducis ~1778  (Read 1850 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Barlow of Collingbourne Ducis ~1778
« on: Thursday 15 June 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am trying to sort back my Barlow line and am having a few issues.  I can go back to Thomas Barlow a laborer who died in 1810 Collingbourne Ducis and who married Sarah Brice 5 July 1801 Collingbourne Ducis.

Now the issue comes to tracking down a birth for Thomas.  There are a large number of people on various genealogy sites that list Thomas as being baptized in Sept 1778 to Thomas Barlow and Mary Cooke.  Non of these people have sources listed and there are quite a few things wrong if you look at their trees going back.  I have looked at multiple different options and I can't for the life of me find a baptism for a Thomas Barlow in Wiltshire at the correct estimated time period based on marriage.  The closest I've come is an index listing for Thomas Barler baptized 5 Sept 1778 Collingbourne Ducis. 

Is anyone able to see the actual parish record and able to tell if Barler is a transcription error of Barlow??? If it's not, does anyone have any thoughts on where I can go from here? Could Barlow & Barler actually be name variations?  Looking I found a Shadrack Barler baptized in 1780 Collingbourne Ducis to a Thomas and Mary too, and there are a number of Shadrack Barlow's in my tree...including Thomas Junior's son.

Thanks!
Nich

Is anyone
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Barlow of Collingbourne Ducis ~1778
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:01 BST (UK) »

The register actually says BARLER unfortunately.

His burial record is very interesting

Thomas Baller or Barlow aged 32 a married man, labourer buried 13 April 1810 - consumption

So looks like the man you seek :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
I had the index for his burial, but mine did not include "Baller or Barlow", but in trying to see if it was an error I did find a marriage for a Thomas Baller and Mary Cook in Collingbourne Kinston though he is listed of Collingbourne Ducis in 1778 so I assume these are the correct parents.

I had no idea that Barlow/Barler/Baller were all name variations...very interesting if not a tad confusing.

thanks for your help.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 23:26 GMT (UK) »

I had no idea that Barlow/Barler/Baller were all name variations...very interesting if not a tad confusing.

Your post is 5 years old, so I hesitated to respond, but my family history society transcription of the Collingbourne Ducis baptisms/burials does use the term "Barlow or Barler or Baller" against some transcriptions.  Before that I too had no idea they were interchangeable.

Sarah Brice was the younger sister of my 4xgreat grandmother Frances Brice (who married a Thomas Brice!), so I guess we are distant cousins. 

I found the Barlows fascinating, not just for the sheer volume of them (and if Thomas Barlow had lived a little longer, there would have been even more!), but also because of the likes of Silas Barlow https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=t18761120-93

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Julian.

Yes they were a prolific bunch. Silas was a horrible man. He’s in a number of newspaper articles as well as a book a prescription for murder.

I’ve been stuck with the line in the mid to late 1600s for years now.

Nichbuket