Author Topic: Wilkinson or Watkins?  (Read 619 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wilkinson or Watkins?
« on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Whilst doing some research into my ancestor John Elvy today I have come across a bit of a puzzle regarding his wife.

I have his wife recorded as Thomasin Wilkinson who he married in Charing on 22 April 1628. These details are found on Ancestry in the "England Select Marriages 1538-1937" database.

Whilst doing some work on FindMyPast today I decided to see if I could trace John or Thomasin's birth. I didn't find these, but what I did find was two different versions of the marriage in three different record sets.

Firstly there is this entry recorded in the England Marriages 1537-1973 record set.

John Elvey married Thomasin Wilkinson 22 April 1628 Charing.

Then, recorded in the record set "Charing Marriages 1590-1836" there is the following

John Elvy married Thomasin Watkins 22 April 1628 Charing.

The marriage is also recorded in the "East Kent Marriage Index 1538-1754" where her first name is spelt Thomsen rather than Thomasin or Thomasen.

This is clearly the same marriage as the date, place, Groom's name, and Bride's first name all match. The question is, what was Thomasin's surname? Was she a Wilkinson or a Watkins? She doesn't appear to have been a widow when she married John.

If anyone has access to the Charing PRs and can double check this, or if anyone has any ideas it would be very helpful.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkinson or Watkins?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that the ancestry transcription (Select Marriages) and the FindMyPast England marriages are both sourced from the same data set - familysearch so if a transcription error was made on the IGI this will have been copied over by both.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk