Author Topic: George Stephenson born c1833,  (Read 2116 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George Stephenson born c1833,
« on: Thursday 15 June 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth of George Stephenson.  The only information I have from the 1871 English census is that he was born in Scotland in 1833.  I believe he was married to Margaret Peterson at Turriff, Aberdeenshire on 23rd December 1865.  He is listed in the 1871 English census as living in Sculcoates, Yorkshire.   In the 1881 English census he is still in Sculcoates, and his occupation is listed as Grocer.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Honeybun.
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: George Stephenson born c1833,
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Honeybun

Viewing that marriage entry online would confirm his parents' names, letting you work back with confidence to his family.

There is this entry as a possibility for him https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY6T-MW5     

Monica         
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
Was George Stephen married before he married Margaret Peterson in 1865? The eldest son Robert showing as born 1862 in Scotland, I wondered whether this might be his birth entry on the index https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYBW-R3J Possible marriage for this couple in 1861 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTRZ-Q6T

Parents' names from that 1860 marriage would let you check that info against the 1865 marriage to Margaret Peterson.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the 1865 marriage to Margaret Paterson and doesn't seem to be the correct one.

This George was bc.1840/41 (aged 24) an Ag.Labourer - usual residence Banff - son of  a George Stephenson (deceased) and Elizabeth Riddoch (this couple married 3/6/1838 Gamrie, Banff).   

Although I haven't been able to find family on any census it doesn't sound like this is your man anyway.

Your George and Margaret's youngest 3 children on census i.e. Frederick bc.1870, David bc.1878 and Maggie bc.1882 when compared against the GRO's birth index on their own site shows that their mothers maiden name was McKenzie.

However, cannot find a marriage between a George Stephenson(or Stevenson) to a Margaret McKenzie in either Scotland or England, cannot find the birth of son Robert bc.1862 Meldrum either as Stephenson or McKenzie or a John ca.1866 in York.

Having done some 'digging' I offer the following:

Margaret Stephenson, nee McKenzie states on 1881 census that she was born in Slains (Aberdeenshire).   Census states 'Kemley' (?) birthplace for George which doesn't seem to exist. 

Margaret Mckenzie b.8/2/1838 Slains dau. of John McKenzie and Crawford Cuming/Cumming.
Elizabeth Mckenzie bc.1832        ditto                         ditto

George Stephen married Elizabeth MacKenzie 1/2/1860 Slains

1861 Census, Meldrum Aberdeenshire

George Stephen   32      Timber merchant      born Kintore, Aberdeenshire
Elizabeth Stephen 29                                    born Slains,       ditto
Alexander Stephen brother  15                      born Kintore
Margaret Mackenzie  sister in law 22              born Slains
John Keith  stepson  2                                   born Slains

Don't know if you are aware but in Scotland it was commonplace for an illegitimate child to take on the surname of their father even though the parents never married.

Elizabeth MacKenzie has an illeg. son - John Crawford MacKenzie - on 22/5/1858 Slains - and this is the John Keith shown on the census (obviously his natural father was surnamed Keith).   Said John Keith was with George/Margaret Stephenson on 1871 census, shown as nephew.

I then found Robert McKenzie Stephen b.28/6/1861 Meldrum, son of George Stephen and Elizabeth McKenzie.

Then looked for John's birth at York, this time under 'Stephen' -  bingo, John Cumming Stephen birth Dec.1865 York, mmn McKenzie.

So, George Stephenson was actually born as George Stephen at Kintore, Aberdeenshire, son of John Stephen and Ellen Bain - sometime between 1861 and 1865 George moved his family to Yorkshire and after 1865 their surname becomes Stephenson and further children born in that name.  Looks like sometime between 1861 and 1871 Elizabeth died and he remarries to her sister Margaret - or did he?   Scotlands People shows the death of an Elizabeth Stephen 28 in 1861 Old Meldrum who is probably George's 1st wife - Margaret then appears as his wife by 1871.  It was illegal I believe to marry the sibling of a deceased spouse and I wonder if this is what heralded the move to England and also the change of surname from Stephen to Stephenson.

Once again I rechecked the records and found George Stephen married Margaret MacKenzie Dec.qtr.1865 York.  Their son John Cumming Stephen born same quarter but by the time son Frederick William was born Dec.1869 the family had become Stephenson and the rest you know.

The clincher in all this is 'nephew' John Keith who was illeg. son of George's first wife Elizabeth - in fact John was both stepson and nephew of George.   Good that he went by his natural father's name of Keith since George and Margaret had their own son John Stephen (later Stephenson).

Quite a conundrum this one.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
I suggest that Kemley is actually Kemnay, which is only a few miles away from Kintore!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you who have posted - this is going to be a complicated one!  The John Stephenson born 1866 is the son I am following for the family tree I'm compiling.  What a tangled situation.  I am now trying to make up a tree which makes sense.  I wasn't aware of the Scottish system for the illegitimate child to take the father's surname - in England I have found children "adopted" by the grandparents and called their child in the census, and also the child being christened with a middle name which is the surname of the father.  I have two of those in my paternal tree alone.

I am very grateful to Rootschat yet again for all the information sent to me.

Honeybun

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Just for my own peace of mind what became of 'your' John Stephenson (as stated his birth reg'd as John Cumming Stephen in Dec.qtr.1865 York).

I can't seem to find him after the 1881 census.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 June 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette7

I too have not found anything more after 1881 at the moment, but have only just started this research.  I have found his Royal Marine service record at National Archives so will get that next, although that won't help me after 1881 I know.  The next step is death records, but hopefully he is around in 1891 somewhere!

If I do get anything, I'll let you know.  Incidentally, you have him as John Cumming whilst on his marriage certificate he is John Henry.  This family certainly know how to confuse people! 

Regards
Honeybun

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 June 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette7
Just an update on John Stephenson.  I have found him in the 1911 Census.  He married Alice Dean in Chatham in June 1903 when he was still in the Marines.  They are listed in 1911 living in Chatham with three children, and he's listed as a Pensioner Royal Marines and Billiard Marker at Club.  As he is not in the 1891 or 1901 I can only assume that he was still on active service and not in England and until I get the record I don't know when he was given his pension, but it was sometime between 1903 and 1911 is all I can guess. 

So, a bit more progress!

Honeybun