Author Topic: Help with Norwegian translation for parish arrival record  (Read 1849 times)

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Norwegian translation for parish arrival record
« on: Friday 16 June 17 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wondering if anybody can please help with deciphering/translating the attached Lillehammer parish arrival record for Johanna Danielsdotter and Johan Edvard Winger (#3 and 4 on the left hand side, under the year 1857). All I can make out is that Johanna came from Gotheborg and that they are both living in Lillehammer.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks  :)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Norwegian translation for parish arrival record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not easy to read unfortunately. This is my effort:

Housemaid Johanna Danielsdatter, 30 years old, hired in Lillehammer's ? (I cannot make out the next word.... Barn.....??) from Gothenburg.

Bachelor Johan Edvard Vinger from Christiania. 26 July 1833, christened 1848, 23 years old, hired as a tobacco spinner. (I couldn't make out the next column although I think the last word is short for Christiania).

I took a look in the books a little. You may have these:

Marriage: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/8936/43565/11
1865 Census: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/38053/45?indexing=

Ian

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help, that information ties in with what I already know  :) And now I have a confirmation year for Johan which is great, thanks. I had already found their marriage and 1865 census records, appreciate you taking the time to look  :)

I wonder if the words after Lillehammer (Barn ? something) for Johanna Danielsdatter, are in reference to her being with child but not married? Their first child was born only one week after their marriage in July 1857, and this record of their arrival in the parish in 1857 was done before they were married.

I would love to know what it says for Johanna in the last column (regarding certificates bought with them) as I have very little information to go on in order to trace her birth and family line back in Sweden. I can make out Gotheborg and what looks like 27 May 1854?

All I know about Johanna is that she was born in Gothenburg around 1825/1826. Her parents are listed as Anders Danielsen and Elene Danielsen on her NZ death certificate, which doesn't make much sense to me as I assumed with the surname Danielsdatter that her father would have been Daniel  ???

Thanks again
Alicia

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Cheers.
I forgot about the last column. It does say as you wrote. It looks like the date she left Sweden.
I have access to the Swedish Church Books so I will take a look there to see if anything pops up.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Yes you are right. I would also expect her father's name to be Daniel.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 17 15:21 BST (UK) »

I wonder if the words after Lillehammer (Barn ? something) for Johanna Danielsdatter,

After a long hard study I actually think it is "Bomuldspinder"...... cotton spinner.

Here is Johan's leaving record from "Garnisonsmenigheten Kirkebøker, Oslo" in 1854.....
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/612/4022/4 - bottom right.

Ian

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
My Norwegian is extremely basic and rusty and I found the writing hard to decipher but am following this with interest. My sister lives in Gothenburg there is a very active Anglo Swedish society there .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 17 16:44 BST (UK) »

(I couldn't make out the next column although I think the last word is short for Christiania).[/i]

Just noticed what the column says: "Garnisonsmenigheten in Christiania"

Ian

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian, appreciate you taking the time to decipher the words and look for Johan's leaving record, which I didn't have, so that is very helpful  :)

After looking carefully at the word and how the letters compare to others written on the page, I think you are right about Johanna's occupation being bomuldspinder. There does appear to have been a cotton mill in Lillehammer around that time.

I'll try taking a look at the Swedish records to see if I can find a possible leaving record for Johanna in Gothenburg - the problem is knowing which parish she came from. Not sure which parishes existed in the 1850s to help narrow down the list, might have to go through them all!