Author Topic: Help with Norwegian translation for parish arrival record  (Read 1847 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Norwegian translation for parish arrival record
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 June 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
You won't need to look in Sweden as I am already going through the books  aithough unsuccessfully.
I have already gone through the Gothenburg Parishes with no result. I think she came from somewhere outside Gothenburg.

I will continue.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 June 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again
Did Johanna have a middle name?

Ian

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 June 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, no she didn't I'm afraid, all records have her as Johanna Danielsdotter (or Danielsen).

I'm not sure if this will help, but I was just looking back through some information sent by a distant relative which said Johanna's brothers came out on the same ship with her to NZ. The names noted down were Arrd. Danielsen, Axel William Danielsen and John Alfred Danielsen. However, I couldn't find them on the ship's passenger list and looking at death records for Axel and John in NZ puts their birth years around 1858-1861, which makes them some 35 odd years younger than Johanna. So unlikely to be brothers, but possibly were related? I did find a passenger list record for a Johan A Danielsen who came out to Napier in NZ from Sweden in 1874 (Johanna came to Napier in 1872 with her husband and children). Another website says John was born 16 Oct 1857 in Säter, Älvsborg, Sweden. I couldn't find this particular place, but see there is an Älvsborg district in Gothenburg. And that the county of Älvsborg is now part of Västra Götaland. There is a Säter but it is in Dalarna county? All of this might be a long shot I know!

Thanks again for your help  :)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 June 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
I took a look in Kungsäter Parish in Älvsborgs Län for a Johan August. There is a Johan August born on 15 Oct 1857 to a Carl Johan Andersson and Anna Britta Carlsdotter. This might be the one you mentioned.

Also, here is the passenger record from Copenhagen of Johan August Danielsen you also mentioned:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k9q/

Ian

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 June 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, the details in that second passenger record for Johan August Danielsen do seem to match the one I found. I wonder though with that baptism record you mentioned, if his father was named Carl would his surname then be Carlsson?

What is interesting is that looking more in depth at this website I mentioned above, regarding Norwegian & Swedish immigrants to Norsewood in NZ, is in the footnotes for details regarding Johanna Danielsdotter's birth in 1826 in Gothenburg, it says the following:

Sten Aminoff, Svenskarna I Nya Zeeland: Den svenska utvandringen till Nya Zeeland fram till 1940, Page 122, no. 222.
"ANDERSDOTTER, Johanna 1826 Gbg S... also called Johanna DANIELSDOTTER."

So according to this book written by Sten Aminoff, Johanna was recorded as Johanna Andersdotter, which would tie in with her father being Anders as per her death certificate. No idea why she would have gone by Danielsdotter then  ??? Rather confusing! Could it be she took the same surname as her father "Anders Danielsen" as per her death certificate but the female version of it?

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
I took a look in Kungsäter Parish in Älvsborgs Län for a Johan August. There is a Johan August born on 15 Oct 1857 to a Carl Johan Andersson and Anna Britta Carlsdotter. This might be the one you mentioned.

I followed up on this Johan and according to the books he died in USA on 2 Sept 1895.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 June 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
So according to this book written by Sten Aminoff, Johanna was recorded as Johanna Andersdotter

I had seen that. I do think though it is strange that she might have changed her name although I do believe it to be not likely, but one never knows.
She had a "moving out" certificate with her when she moved to Norway. Her name and information would have been recorded on it and the Norwegian minister would have recorded what was on it.

Ian

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I agree with you that it would be strange to change her name this way, so it may remain a mystery!

I guess the only thing I've got to go on is the date 27 May 1854 of her Gothenburg "moving out" certificate as noted in the Lillehammer parish record. Would this date be the date she left Gothenburg or the date the certificate was issued? Seeing as you haven't found her in the Gothenburg parish records so far, it is possible she went to Gothenburg from another parish first, before going to Lillehammer. The only record that states her birthplace was Gothenburg is her marriage record. All others I've found just say Sweden.

It is unfortunate that the minister's handwriting is so difficult to read, as would love to know what other words it says regarding this certificate, though they may not shed any further light at all.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
The date on the certificate would have been the date she left.
She may not have been born in Gothenburg and not even knowing when she moved away from home is a problem. I will keep looking. I have gone through many parishes so far without success...... unfortunately.
His handwriting is bad but I don't think it says that much really, just Gothenburg and the date.

I found their moving out record from Lillehammer 1866 (you may have this) ..... https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/8936/43563/18 - nr 232-237

Ian