Author Topic: Adelaide Clough born 1830-1832 and William Edward Ridsdale born 1829-1830  (Read 1748 times)

Offline CdnGran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello.  I have just discovered your site through a relative and I am hoping that perhaps someone may be able to assist me as well in finding information on my 2nd Great Grandmother Adelaide Clough.  I have done quite a bit of research on her family but have not been able to find anything about her birth or when she left England for either the United States or Canada.   Adelaide was most likely born between 1830 – 1832.  Her death certificate from Wellington County, Ontario, Canada states that she was born on May 23, 1831 in Yorkshire, England but the 1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census indicates that she was born in 1830 in Scotland.  On Adelaide’s death certificate only her father’s surname of Clough is known and her mother’s name is listed as Mary Ann Coulson and the birthplace is unknown for both parents.  She died March 2, 1912.
Adelaide’s mother Mary Ann married Stephen Pinder April 13, 1835 In St. John & St. Martin, Beverley, York, England.  There are a few discrepancies about the date of their marriage, Stephen’s year of birth, and Mary Ann’s Surname – Coulson or Clough.  Stephen and Mary Ann had six children Maria, Mary, Elizabeth, Bennison, John Coulson and Matilda between the years of 1837-1849.  According to both the 1841 and 1851 Census they resided in Bridlington, Yorkshire, England.
I think that Adelaide left England in 1851 and most likely immigrated to the United States.  According to some undocumented information that has been passed down to me on a family tree summary sheet, she met her husband William Edward Ridsdale while on the ship and they were married July 17, 1851 in Ohio.  Their first two children Mary Ann and Coulson were born in the United States, probably Ohio.  William and Adelaide’s daughter Harriet was born in Upper Canada in 1856 and they resided in Luther, Wellington, Canada West by 1861 as per the 1861 Census.
I also do not have much information on William Edward Ridsdale.  He died in Wellington County, Ontario Canada on Feb. 1, 1914.  His death certificate indicates that his parents were William and Mary but no maiden for his mother and that he was born in Yorkshire, England  1829-1830.
I hope that someone will have information that will help me expand my documentation on these ancestors.
Thanks so much.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Clough born 1830-1832 and William Edward Ridsdale born 1829-1830
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Just having a look - but wondering whether you already know (you don't mention it in your post) that the Pinders moved as a family and were in Luther by 1861.  Stephen and Mary Ann were still in Luther in 1881 - religion noted as Methodist.

Of course that does not exclude the possibility that Adelaide moved first and the family moved to Luther to join her and her husband there.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 05:47 BST (UK) »
To assist others looking: in 1851 Adelaide is enumerated as Adelaide CLOWES, 21 b Scotland.

Census ref is HO107/2367/176/12.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 05:55 BST (UK) »
Birth registrations for some of the Pinder children:

Maria, Dec qtr 1837 Bridlington, mmn Coulson
Mary, Mar qtr 1840 Bridlington, mmn Coulson
Elizabeth, Dec qtr 1841 Bridlington, mmn Coulson
Bennison, Sep qtr 1843 Bridlington, mmn Coulson
John Coulson Dec qtr 1846 Bridlington, mmn Coulson

Offline CdnGran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 05:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the speed reply.  Yes I do know that they were in Luther by 1861 and Adelaide and William Ridsdale are actually on the same page of the census. However, I do not know what city they arrived at when they immigrated.  I think they were in York, Upper Canada by 1853.  I think that Adelaide came on her own and that is how she met William Ridsdale.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Clough born 1830-1832 and William Edward Ridsdale born 1829-1830le
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
Have these Yorkshire baptisms been looked at as possibles for William?

William Ridsdale bapt 13 Oct 1828 Spofforth to William & Mary (he stays in England - born Little Ribston)
William Ridsdale bapt 15 Feb 1830 Walkington to William & Mary (is in Walkington in 1851, farm labourer)
William Ridsdale bapt 25 Feb 1831 Barnsley to William & Mary (may be the one buried 15 May 1831 Barnsley aged 0)

I see that his stated age at death (for what it is worth) suggests a birthdate in late November 1829.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 June 17 07:00 BST (UK) »
I see that two marriage licences were obtained for Stephen & Mary Ann:

6 April 1835:

Stephen Pinder 30 of Rudston and Mary Ann Clough 28 of Rudston.

Intended marriage place: Rudston Parish Church.

12 April 1835:

Stephen Pinder 25 of Rudston and Mary Ann Coulson 25 of Beverley.

Intended marriage place: St Martin, Beverley.

The marriage went ahead (Stephen Pinder to Mary Ann Coulson) 13 April 1835 at Beverley.

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 June 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
The link CarolA3 points to is actually a thread I started.
CdnGran and myself actually came into contact via Ancerstry.com . Her Great-Great Grandmother (Adelaide Clough Pinder Ridsale) is actually my Great-Great Grandfather's daughter  (Stephen Pinder - B1803 - Kilham).   We may be related even earlier than that via marriage of Stephen Bennison (1739-1813) to Mary Pinder (1760-1844), but I have no firm documentation proving that this Mary is related to my branch (Love to find out though).

Back to the matter at hand regarding Adelaide. I am pretty sure she did not leave with the whole Pinder clan to Canada.  I am fortunate in that I do have some letters handed down over the years, which suggest that Adelaide was elsewhere than with her parents (Stephen Pinder and Mary Ann Coulson).

A letter dated 1853 from Stephen Coulson (Mary Ann Coulson's father) to Mary Ann Coulson, living in Upper Canada at the time  states: "Sister Harriot has been only poorly but has gotten better. Sister Selina his very well but George his only very poorly There is a great many ?? inquires after your house you get on we had a letter from Adlaide and was very glad to here they were both well and was doing well. I sent them a newspaper and will write to them next week."
(Be warned, it's a difficult read)
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuU4CewZkMfqHB-70

And a letter from Hannah Nicholson (Niece),  Bridlington Oct 11th, 1860 to Mary Ann Coulson  says:

"When you write again will you tell us  where all my cousins are and what they are doing and how Mary gets on with her store and how many children cousin Adelaide has and how many cousin M???? has. You sent us a new York ledger and a newspaper. "

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AifC60WL0cSMuU_8lWM39_5xxxEi

The 1851 UK census put here with the entire Pinder family in Bridlington/SKipsea.
The 1853 suggests she is no longer in the UK.
The 1853 and 1860 letters suggest they are not with their parents
The question is did they go straight to Canada or did they come via the US.

The other question that avm228 alludes to is a bit of a mystery and one I would love to find an answer to: There are two transcripts from the Yorkshire, Archbishop of York Marriage licences index (via Findmypast). One indicates a marriage licence of Stephen Pinder to Mary Ann Coulson (License date Apr. 12th, 1835, record sequence number 37, page 266) the other to a Mary Ann Clough (License date Apr. 6th, 1835, record sequence number 36, page 266)

An old fashioned admin error..?  I suspect not, but what might of happened here?