Author Topic: Daly family  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daly family
« on: Friday 16 June 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
has anyone found discrepancies in any records? I have found a few when I think I am on the right track the facts do not fit exactly, for instance I am searching for my late fathers family, his mother was Maggie /Margaret Daly according to the irish census she was born in 1879 but  on her marriage certificate it has her down as being born in 1886.

I imagine it was easier to lie then and whatever they put down might have been taken as fact, she may have wanted to appear to be younger than her husband or maybe it was a clerical error I am quite sure I have the right one, also on her marriage certificate her father John Daly was down as a farmer but according to other records he was dead by the time she got married would it have to say deceased did they always put this down?.

there are a few others where I am sure I have the right person but all the facts do not match exactly.
I am looking for any information on this side of the family. my grandmothers name was Maggie Daly from Londonderry and her parents were John Daly and Eliza Jane Sherrard I have cencus records that show she had a brother William and have traced his marriage to A cassie Burke and that is the right one has my grandparents are down as witnesses to the wedding  any information I would be most grateful for thank you.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: dicrepancies in records.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates have always been informant led.
The Registrar writes down what he is told ;D

On marriage, if he isn't told that a father was deceased, then he doesn't put that down.

For ages, he simply writes down the age he was told.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
My gt.grandma adjusted her age on all three of her marriage certificates......she was older than all of her husbands.   ::)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
thanks for the replies I suspected that was the case,  it has just stumbled me as the facts didn't add up but it was sometimes obvious with the other facts I had the right person,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Since this topic is really about finding information on your Daly family it would be best with a change of title and moved to the Derry/Londonderry board- just click on 'report to moderator' and ask for this to be done.

Regarding differences in ages- many people really didn't know their birthdates and/or ages so they often gave what seem to be incorrect answers.

Maggie /Margaret Daly according to the irish census she was born in 1879 but  on her marriage certificate it has her down as being born in 1886
Here's the marriage certificate- she married in 1910 and age is given as 24 (not as born in 1886)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1910/09974/5626600.pdf
Age only about 1 year off in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__5_Urban/Fountain_Hill/606689
1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Glendermot/Prehen/1539230

also on her marriage certificate her father John Daly was down as a farmer but according to other records he was dead by the time she got married would it have to say deceased did they always put this down?.
Marriage ceritificates didn't always indicate father was dead

my grandmothers name was Maggie Daly from Londonderry and her parents were John Daly and Eliza Jane Sherrard I have cencus records that show she had a brother William and have traced his marriage to A cassie Burke and that is the right one has my grandparents are down as witnesses to the wedding
Here's the 1913 marriage of William Daly to Cassie Burke-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1913/09872/5586027.pdf

children with father Daly/mother Sherrard (Londonderry district)-
Isabella (1866) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03519/2294388.pdf
William (1868) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03430/2258722.pdf
Samuel (1871) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03285/2203996.pdf
Eliza Jane (1873) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03197/2172415.pdf
Margaret (1879) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02921/2070338.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
thank you that is great, I knew very little of my fathers family and only knew his parents and sisters names and  grandfather brown  so I am really grateful for the extra info  sorry I posted in the wrong place I will rectify it asap.

Offline Shar10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
I didn't even know there was a derry/Londonderry board thanks for that

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
I have lots of ancestor marriage certs where the father is dead but not listed as such on the marriage cert. One died in 1831 but his sons marriage in 1845 did not state he was dead. Some registrars asked if they were deceased but many did not.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Daly family
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Shar,

I have just moved your topic for you :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk