Author Topic: Speadsheet for Graveyard Memorials  (Read 2977 times)

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Speadsheet for Graveyard Memorials
« on: Friday 16 June 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Is there a spreadsheet available for memorial headstones in a cemetery.
I would like to have the following headings.

Grave Number
Memorial Inscription
Grave location
Hyperlink to photograph.
Burial Date

I have started using a basic excel spreadsheet but I cannot get the sort link for surname or burial date to work. I have the memorial info as on the headstone, some stones may have up to 10 lines on. I think this is the problem.

Peter

Peter

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Speadsheet for Graveyard Memorials
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Do you mean typing in all the info. as you go & then sorting them in alphabetical order?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
I doubt there is a "standard" spreadsheet for headstones, as everybody can easily design their own.

You already have various column headings and you should be able to use the table sorting functions on any column.
some stones may have up to 10 lines on. I think this is the problem.
Yes, I suggest, using one line per name, and then the sort functions will work.  But then you will also need an extra column, an internal "Headstone nr.", "Memorial nr." or something similar, to be able to group/sort names on a particular memorial stone.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
All our gravestones are all over the place hence names follow suit. I have already about 150 headstone inscriptions on a spreadsheet.

I would like to be able to group all the same surnames together by using the sort mode. I can only do it if the headstone description is 1 line not say 10 lines.

I have all the burials n a excel spread sheet and can either sort by date or surname.

Regards

Peter

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
I think you just need more columns and also devise your own numbering system.  So if you had grave No N14 that would be in one column and on the same line as the whole inscription of the stone. On the next line you would have N14 (in the same column as above) but the next column would be 1 with a name like Smith. Next col would John. Next line N14 and in next col 2 followed by Smith and next col Mary. See below. This worked for me in a small graveyard of approx 288 stones covering 847 names

No#      Surname   Given name   Gravestone Inscription
N14                                    In loving Memory of John Smith who died 21.10.1905 aged
                                                        62 and his wife Mary who died 06.12.1910 aged 65. Also
                                                        their daughter Ann, died 30.06.1955 aged 77.
N14   1   Smith   John   
N14   2   Smith   Mary   
N14   3   Smith   Ann   

You can add columns for data, rather like the old double entry book keeping. Hope this all lines up OK when posted. This is in MS Word as I could not get the site to accept MS Excel!

Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
clearly

I have used your system added a couple of new surnames with the same inscription details.
Using the sort alphabetically function the surnames work but the inscription does not follow.

How can I put the inscription in one cell. If you type it in one line it will go right across the page.

Peter

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
If you click on the cell or, column that you want to change, select Format,  then Alignment, then check the word wrap box. This might vary slightly depending on which version of Excel you are using.  If you still have problems use the help function and search for word wrap. You can then change the width of the cell or column as required. You might need to make the cells deeper to accommodate the word wrap. Experiment before applying this to your data and make sure you have a backup.

MARTIN

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Control Enter

This doesn't work in Excel Starter, but I seem to recall it used to work on the full-blown version I used pre-retirement.  It also works in OpenOffice Calc.

For the inscription, where you want all 10 or so lines in one cell, type the first line, then where you want your carriage return (to use typewriter terminology!) hold down control while you press enter.  The cursor will stay in the same cell, but on a fresh line.

It's amazing what you can remember when you have to  ;D

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Close
It is Alt + Enter (or Alt + Return - same thing)