Author Topic: O'Donnell sisters marrying Devir, McBride & McCall(ig/ogue) Clondahorky RC  (Read 3888 times)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell sisters marrying Devir, McBride & McCall(ig/ogue) Clondahorky RC
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 June 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Hallmark... ;  :) :) :) you've made my week!

Kicking myself for forgetting about the terrific irishgenealogy.ie site, as I've used it before  >:( ::)

(..suffering from intermittent bouts of ann-mnesia  ;D)

I wonder if anyone will be able to make out the Latin annotations...I have a dear old Latin scholar priest friend...but his eyesight isn't up to it  ;D

Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 June 17 05:32 BST (UK) »
 Bridget O’DONNELL,.... can't make it out!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 June 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
have you seen this site

http://www.donegalgenealogy.com

then come down the pages and click on Clondahorky

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 June 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
Mary.. can't make it out either...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 June 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Rathmore & thanks for replying :). I've been a fan of the donegalgenealogy site for ages, but it's taken a looooong time to trace and confirm the correct names & townlands from so many possibilities  ::)

My grandfather was born here in Australia. He knew his parents had left their first-born - an infant daughter- behind in Donegal, when they emigrated, intending to bring her out when she was old enough to do so safely.

Sadly, his mother-nee Bridget O'Donnell- & his Australian born siblings all died before his 3rd birthday. His father, John Devir, was last heard of in 1903, in Perth, (3-4 thousand kms or 2-21/2 thousand miles away), where he'd gone to work in gold, then copper, mining...but no trace & no death cert. of course... ::)

So it's been a very slow & painstaking process, with wisps of oral history & trickles of info from Irish records, until the release of the R C parish records  ;D

A further complication was that my grandfather spent a lot of time, as a child, with 2 of his father's older, by 16 & 18 years respectively, brothers. They had emigrated to Australia 15 & 17 years earlier. 

There is evidence that they were from Kilmacrenan, and their father's forename was different to  their younger brother's, who was definitely from Magherablad near Creeslough.

There was vague talk that they were half brothers, and that their mother had married 2 Devir men.

Oh, to have time over to converse with those long gone! 
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline Frances holian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 January 20 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi I’ve just seen your post about your ancestry and I’m originally a Mcbride and my grandad was called Francis Mcbride and my grandma was called rose. So I think we may be related, when you get this could you message me on Facebook messenger @francesholian. Thankyou

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances! I’ve just seen your post and will be in touch very soon as I’m in transit at the moment...I’m very excited to hear from you!
Cheers, annmck 😁