Author Topic: Charles Doherty/Docherty, Blacksmith  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Angela_Lawrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Doherty/Docherty, Blacksmith
« on: Saturday 17 June 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm hoping someone may have a bit of info on my gg grandad Charles Doherty. I have his marriage details as follows:
31st October 1879 in St Patrick's Chapel, Anderston, Glasgow. Charles Doherty, blacksmith (journeyman) bachelor aged 25. Residing at 22 Perth Street, Glasgow. father Denis Doherty blacksmith (master) and Ellen M.S McCoist or McCourt.
Mary Ann McMullen, Cotton factory worker aged 21. Residing at 63 Piccadilly street Glasgow. father Bernard McMullen, Quay labourer and Bridget M.S Mitchell.

Their son James was born in 1887, and Mary Ann died of TB in 1888. After that he just seems to disappear. I found a Charles Docherty, blacksmith in 1891 census boarding in Monkland street, Glasgow. No sign of James, both of them disappear until james marries my g granny, Elizabeth McGraw in 1912. if anyone knows anything about Charles's birth, death or any subsequent marriages it would be great..
many thanks

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Doherty/Docherty, Blacksmith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 17 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

So Charles was Irish born:
Census 1881: at 108 Glebe Street, 1st Floor, Glasgow Barony (St Rollox)
Parish 644/6, ED36, HS80
Head: Chas DOHERTY 26, Engine Blacksmith, b Ireland.
Wife: Mary Ann DOHERTY 23, b Glasgow

The one you've seen in 1891 - what is his marital status?
Census 1891: at 4 Monkland Street, Glasgow Barony (St Rollox)
Boarder: Charles Dockerty 39, Blacksmith, b Ireland
With the O'KANE family. Her maiden name was LOGAN  (SP marriage index)

When your James DOHERTY married in 1912 was it in Scotland? Where did he marry from (address) and who were the witness? And how was his father recorded on the marriage (the wording used, occupation etc)

There is a James DOHERTY of the right age  in Lanarkshire 1891 and 1901 staying with a Great Aunt, Mary Ann DOHERTY...

Census 1891: at 46 Dover Street Glasgow St Vincent (Kelvin)
Head: Mary Ann DOHERTY 56, b Ireland
Son: Thomas DOHERTY 30, Hammerman, b Ireland
Dau: Sarah DOHERTY 28, Shirt Cutter, b Ireland
Niece: Jane McVICAR 32, Shirt Machinist, b Ireland
Grand Nephew: James DOHERTY 3, b Glasgow

Census 1901: at 68 Clyde Street, Glasgow St Mark (Anderston)
Head: Mary Ann DOHERTY 70, b Ireland
Son: Thos DOHERTY 39, Bricklayer, b Ireland
Niece: Jane McVICAR 40, Shirt Machinist, b Ireland
Nephew: James DOHERTY 15, Scholar, b Glasgow

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Angela_Lawrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly, fantastic info for me to wake up to, thank you so much!

James Docherty married Elizabeth McGraw on 1st Nov, 1912 in Garngadhill, glasgow. Aged 26, residing at 254 castle street. Father is recorded as Charles Docherty blacksmith (deceased)  mother Mary Ann Mallon (deceased). The witnesses were H. McKenna & Catherine McGraw (who was either the bride's sister or mother).

The 1891 census shows he is a blacksmith, born in Ireland and a widower.

I bow down to your superior researching skills! Once again, many many thanks. the info you have given me will help me to fill in some gaps for my great aunt (james's daughter) who turns 90 this year, i'm putting together a family history book for her, so it's great that i will have something to put about Charles and James's early life. There had always been a bit of mystery surrounding Charles & james according to my mum, so it will be nice to clarify the situation a little for her.

Cheers, and enjoy your weekend!

Angela

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
1901 he is still at Monkland Street with Kane family

Charles   Docherty   Boarder   Widower   Male   50   1851   Blacksmith   Ireland

4, Monkland Street, Glasgow, St Rollox, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind when searching for the death of Charles that his son James may have had no contact with his father and may have been told he was dead.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 01:39 BST (UK) »
Good find Sancti  :)

Hi Amanda,

At this stage way I see it

A) There currently  is no proof that the James DOHERTY who is with his Great-Aunt in 1891 and 1901 is your James DOHERTY. Though agreed, it seems a good fit.   I'd now be looking for that man on the 1911 Census, to see who he is with and where and what his occupation is (trying to link in to the details on your James' marriage lines).

B) There currently is no proof that the Charles DOCHERTY found in 1891 and 1901 with the O'Kane family is your James' father.    I'd now be looking for him in 1911, and for a death, to see where he is if he's still alive (Census) and what it says about a wife, who his parents are and who informed (Death). If his death happens to have the name of his late wife  and it is a  match to  your James' mother, that would be great.

Also, If you can establish the parents of B), but otherwise nothing else ties to your James  - you can then try work out who the Great Aunt DOHERTY was in A), or more to the point who her deceased husband was (may need to track her son Thomas for this, or the daughter Sarah)  - and see if they are the same named parents as that of B) Charles DOCHERTY.

Mysteries are such fun, having Irish ancestry mysteries is much funner .... and often much more difficult to navigate  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
Mysteries are such fun, having Irish ancestry mysteries is much funner .... and often much more difficult to navigate  ;D

I will 2nd that  :D

Especially when they have a surname such as 'DOHERTY' in Scotland but back in Ireland it had an 'O' prefix  ::)

I have one which I think is a 'mishmash/mixmatch' of Irish/Irish Gaelic (unsure)...never worked it out  ???

Surname Cullen in my Scottish records but I have my g g/mother giving her mother's m/s as Cullenin  :-\

Moral is...Prefix/Suffix.. = £ix in research ;D

I have a Docherty of Irish descent as my widowed g/mother's 2nd husband although I haven't explored that line i.e. I don't know yet where in Ireland?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,

You will find the counties of Donegal and Londonderry in the Ulster province of Ireland full of Dohertys. It is one of the most common surnames. There are, of course, Dochertys and many other variations but Doherty is the most popular spelling.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Angela_Lawrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 June 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks to a tip-off i received via another board on here and a very distant cousin found on FB, I have been able to track down and confirm Charles's death (with registry entry) and his mother's maiden name. My son graduated from uni last week and tomorrow i am off to collect him and 3 years worth of laundry, so i shall have to wait until later in the week to resume my dig...many thanks to you all for the extremely useful info and tips, much appreciated.  ;D

Angela