Author Topic: WARD  (Read 2654 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
WARD
« on: Saturday 17 June 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi team

A recent thread has awakened my WARD of Firbank / Kendal interest... Am having a few issues though?!

Mary WARD, ch Firbank 20 Nov 1836 to William and Elizabeth.  Mary marries William DODD about 1858, although I cant find the marriage, and has a large number of children, which I have.

I also cannot find the marriage of Mary's parents, William and Elizabeth.  Some online tree's have Elizabeth's mn as STOREY. 
Census returns have Elizabeth born at Sedburgh, Yorks c1805.  The 1841 the family are at High House, Firbank.  Their eldest, Catherine was ch 1823, so a marriage around that time would be likely.  Census returns have William born at Firbank, Westmorland c1796.  I cannot locate a baptism.

I found sisters, Mary and Margaret WARD, born Firbank, living together on the 1851 census with their mother Catharine.  Could be William's sisters and mother.  This Catharine WARD is on the 1841 with the WOOF family at Gill, Firbank.  Listed are John and Ann WOOF.  John WOOF married Ann WARD, Ann is probs another sister of William c1796.
I cant find any baptisms for these 4 issue (William, Margaret, Mary, Ann), although there is this one for Agnes WARD, 31 May 1801 at Kirkby Lonsdale to James and Catharine.  She passed the same year.
If William's c1796 parents are James and Catharine, I cant find a marriage.  Online tree's have Catharine's mn as FARRER.

tia....

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WARD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 17 03:59 BST (UK) »
Mary Ward m William Dodd. 1859, Kendal, Westmorland

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
The new GRO index of births for William and Elizabeth Ward's younger children does confirm that her maiden name is Storey
Probable baptism a bit older than she is admitting 8.6.1801 Sedbergh d of William and Elizabeth Storey.
Siblings john born 11.8. bapt 28.12.1806 Sedbergh,Agnes 20.12.1811(married Cowper),Mary 31.12.1814.
William is on the 1841 census age 60 stone mason n with daughter Agnes and her children.
Marriage Boyd's index William Storry and Eliza Morris 1800 Sedbergh.

There is a death duty index for James Ward at Firbank  in 1825 IR27/195 this should have more details of the family if you follow it up.
Also Catherine in  1852 IR27/134

Ciderdrinker

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Solid and Cider

Cider.... Where do I find this death duty info?!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline fretep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
James WARD & Catherine FARRER married in the chapel of St John, Firbank, on the 25 May 1795 - following banns. Their marriage entry was witnessed by James WARD and Joseph FARRER.

James & Catherine had the following children baptised in Firbank:

1. William (b. 7 Aug, bp. 30 Aug 1795),
2. & 3. Mary & Margaret (b. 29 Jan, bp. 29 Jan 1797),
4. Ann (bp. 20 May 1799) and
5. Agnes (b. 21 May, bp. 31 May 1801, bur. 22 Oct 1801).

Catherine FARRER appears to have been baptised in Grayrigg on the 28 Dec 1769, the daughter of Joseph & Margaret FARRER.

James WARD (of Firbank, aged 69) was buried in Firbank on the 20 Nov 1825. The Lancashire Record Office Probate-index appears to confirm that this was James WARD of High House in Firbank, Yeoman, as probate for that James was granted on the 24 Dec 1825. The James of High House left a will. Order forms are available from their website.

If this is the correct James, then he was surely the James baptised in Firbank on the 7 Nov 1756, the son of William WARD of High House. William was the eldest son of Richard WARD of High House (Will: 1729). There are earlier wills for WARDs of High House dating back to the 1650s as well as wills for other WARDs of Firbank - who appear to be related.

Ann WARD married John WOOF at St Michael, Beetham on the 29 May 1830. John was baptised in All Saints, Killington on the 5 Jul 1795, the eldest of two sons born to John WOOF & Agnes TEBAY. The WOOFs were from Firbank, while the TEBAYs were from Killington (earlier from Sedbergh).

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
fretep

That is awesome info.  It seems Anc* isn't great for Westmorland.

Looks like High House is the definite link.  Looks like an amazing old place.

Many thanks.

bitzar.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 June 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
The death duty indexes were at FindMyPast and you look up the records at the National archives -but why bother when you can order the Will?

Ciderdrinker

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 June 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
The National Archives state the wills are held at Lancashire.  Would that be correct or am I doing something wrong?!

bitzar.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes the Wills are at Lancashire Archives and will give you all the details in full.
The records I mentioned are Death duty records.This was a tax like today's inheritance tax levied on bequests from the Will or if the deceased didn't make a Will their estate.It lists who got what and their addresses.It's those records that are at the National Archives.
But if you get the Wills from Lancashire then there is no need for the death duty records.
So get on to Lancashire Archives .
Hope that clears it all up.

Ciderdrinker