Author Topic: Francis Butter 1694 will Shropshire  (Read 5532 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Francis Butter 1694 will Shropshire
« on: Saturday 17 June 17 04:24 BST (UK) »
A little help required on pg1 of this will. words in red please thanks Brian

the English and on mpt one thousand six hundred ninety and foure I Francis Butter the Elder of Cheswardine in the
County of Salop Gent being praised be god for the same of perfect mind and memory and Considering the uncertainty of
this life upon earth being mindfull to settle and put in order such temperall estate as it has pleased god to bestow upon
me I do constitute ordaine and make this my last will and Testament as follow etq
And first and principally I commend and bequeath my soule to god my creator Assuredly believing that I shall receive full pardon and remission
of all my sins and to be saved by the precious death and merritts of my Saviour and redeemer Jesus Christ my body I Commend and bequeath
unto the earth to be decently interred according to the discretion of my executor here after named and for my Temporal estate be the same
reall personal or mixt I give devise and bequeath the same in manner and form following ie 1694
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Butter 1694 will Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
Part 2) word in red and blank area on 1st line (crease in document) plus blank word on 2nd clipping

Tenements & hereditaments which I now have                                                                                           & hereafter in this my present last will and testement to them
by me given and bequeathed and that my said three sonnes Francis Butter William Butter and Joseph Butter theire heirs assignes may from time to
time and at all and every time and times hereafter quietly and peaceably have hold occupie and Enjoy the said Lands tenements and hereditaments as aforsayd
and hereafter mentioned without the least hinderance trouble e ution slite or molestation of him the said John Butter my son his heirs or Assignes and of and
from all and any other person or persons Claimeing from by or under him my said sonne John Butter his heirs assignes or assignees And if my said sonne

aforesayd shall be and re____ ne to my youngest sonne Joseph Butter and his heires until such time John Butter the grandchild attaine the age of six
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Clip 1
........English accoumpt - ie, the English account of dates as opposed to regnal dates

......will and Testament as followeth

clip 2
...... Lett hinderance trouble eviction? Slite   
Slite - slight
I think it's 'Lett' and not 'least' - I have seen this a lot in wills.
According to my dictionary there is an archaic meaning for the noun 'let', meaning a hinderance or obstruction.

clip3
.......shall be and remaine........ to my youngest sonne
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
I think it is actually:  ...eviction Suite or molestac(i)on...

The loop is either a flourish or perhaps indicates an omitted letter:  something like  Su(e)ite

His writing exhibits a fondness for somewhat random flourishes, so I'd plump for the former.

Agree with: mixt = mixed

The thing before 1694 is: &c = etc

ADDED:

I agree with goldie regarding both the transcription and the meaning of Lett.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
I think the ‘creased’ line in clip 2 might be ...

... & hereditament(es) w(hi)ch I now have or heretofore have had used occupied (and) enjoyed and hereafter ...

ADDED - I agree with Suite, sometimes found in this context as Suit.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much Goldie, HD86 and Bookbox

This was only page 1 of 5 so I am sure I will be back in the future with more tricky bits.

Brian

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 June 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to figure out the word(s) in the blank area in 2nd line. starts with I, the writer does run the I into the next word so it could be 3 words.

Butter his heirs and Assignes for ever/ one Liveing in the holding of James Poole and thereunto belonging Alsoe I give and bequeath unto my said sonne Francis Butter
his heires and Assignes for ever/ one liveing in the holding of him the said Francis Butter                and all thereunto belonging (except) the Alleyes house and backeside where I the

Brian

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 June 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
The word is:  Junior

ADDED:

In most documents of this time I and J were identical in form.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 02:01 BST (UK) »
thanks Hd86

I must have studied that twenty times and never saw junior. So obvious.

Brian