Author Topic: what became of Myrtle Amelia Sharp bap 1880 Easebourne  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
what became of Myrtle Amelia Sharp bap 1880 Easebourne
« on: Saturday 17 June 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Myrtle Amelia Sharp was an illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Amelia Sharp aka Amelia Elizabeth Sharp.

Myrtle was baptised at Easebourne 7 March 1880.  She was living with her mother, and 2 brothers in the 1881 and 1891 census at the Union Workhouse Easebourne.

Elizabeth Amelia also gave birth to her daughter Fanny who was baptised 3 May 1871 [died aged 5 weeks], John baptised 16 Apr 1873 and Charles baptised 7 May 1876 [both Easebourne].

Elizabeth Amelia died in 1913 aged 72 years still at the Union Workhouse.  I am unable to locate what became of her daughter Myrtle.  As yet i have not traced either of her sons John or Charles.  John died in 1951 in Berkshire and learned the trade of Tailor. In the 1939 register he was noted as a Tailor Journeyman.

Westy

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: what became of Myrtle Amelia Sharp bap 1880 Easebourne
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
There's a Myrtle Sharp, servant, b. 1877 in Lewisham Workhouse in 1896.  Could that be her, perhaps?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello STG,

I suppose its possible that her birth was a few years before her baptism in 1880.  In 1896 she would have been 16. ???

In the 1891 Census Myrtle aged 13 was a pauper at the Union Workhouse Easebourne but it seems at least 1 brother escaped poverty so perhaps Myrtle did also???

Westy

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
There's a birth reg for a Myrtle Amelia Sharp in Q3 1878 in Midhurst, which covers Easebourne ...

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
The 1878 registration was for a Myrtle Amelia

I had a look at the 1939 census for Myrtles b c1877 - one in Chichester who I can trace back not to be the one we are after. another interesting person is a Myrtle Nutter in Hammersmith with William Nutter. can find them together on electoral registers from the mid 1930s, but no marriage obvious. she dies in Lewes in 1958 - listed as Myrtle A Nutter

In 1935 they are together but she's Myrtle Wright

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a Charles Sharp aged 23 (b1876) in Midhurst in Jul-Sep 1899 2b/291
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 17 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hello STG, Jomot & Mabel

STG: your post reminded me of something and I cannot believe I had forgotten. 

Aside from that Jomot and Mabel: Charles death looks likely to be the correct one and shall follow your advice Jomot.

Mabel I think you may have found Myrtle Amelia and will also follow to confirm. 

Thanks so much.

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again Mabel,

I am no longer as confident that Myrtle who dies in Lewes in 1958 - listed as Myrtle A Nutter is the person I am seeking but it could be her.  Her age at death is 80 meaning a birth about 1878 and this fits with what we know.

Myrtle Amelia Sharp's birth was registered  Sept 1878 at Midhurst and baptised by the vicar Henry Wood on 7 March 1880 Easebourne. 

According to the 1939 Register, the Myrtle Nutter of Hammersmith Grove, Hammersmith birth was 20 Oct 1877.  This really cannot be the Myrtle Amelia Sharp I am seeking as her birth was registered in Sept 1878 which is at odds with the possible Myrtle of Hammersmith who was born the following month.

Perhaps back to the drawing board?

Westy

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 June 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Probably - I don't have full access to 1939, so it was always a supposition