Author Topic: what became of Myrtle Amelia Sharp bap 1880 Easebourne  (Read 659 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what became of Myrtle Amelia Sharp bap 1880 Easebourne
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 June 17 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Mabel,

I appreciate your assistance.  :)

All leads are only that till one follows them so please keep making suggestions and I will follow them to see where they go.

Regards,

Westy

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Human51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 June 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Westy

Just to help with eliminating the Myrtle Nutter who appears in the 1939 Register living at Hammersmith with William Nutter, taxi driver b1871 - she was Myrtle Ann Riches born 20 October 1878 at Battersea (dob from her baptism). She was actually William's sister-in-law (his wife was Emily Jane Riches b1872 ), although they appear to have been a couple post 1911. At 1911 Myrtle was living with a William Wright as his wife.

No sign of Myrtle Amelia Sharp but at least that's Myrtle Nutter out of the running!

Best wishes
Caroline
I am researching the name SELMES and in early 2012 I registered a one-name study with the Guild of One-Name Studies.
I am a Selmes descendant and almost all of my family lines come from Sussex, particularly East Sussex.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Caroline,

Once again many thanks.  I wonder what became of Myrtle?

I will contact SFHG to see if all burials for Easebourne are transcribed.

Regards,

Westy

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
On checking for a will for John I see that administration was granted in 1952 to HM Treasury Solicitor, so if Myrtle was alive it seems unlikely that they were in contact.
GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Human51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Westy

The Myrtle Sharp who was admitted to Lewisham Workhouse on 23 October 1896, age 19 b1877 was  discharged on 25 Nov 1896 to a Women's Home. She is almost certainly the Myrtle Sharp who gave birth to a daughter Myrtle Louisa Sharp ( birth was registered in March q 1897, mother's maiden name Sharp) baptised at St Dunstan & All Saints church, Stepney on 29 May 1897. Myrtle was shown in the bap register as a singlewoman of 31 Arbour Square, Stepney. Myrtle Louisa Sharp's death was registered in the September q 1897.

I think it is still worth considering this Myrtle Sharp as being 'your' Myrtle. There are no other birth registrations for a Myrtle Sharp(e) in the period 1870 -1890 apart from Myrtle Amelia Sharp 1878.
Her brother John moved away from Sussex so it's quite possible she went with him.

It is odd how Myrtle just disappears without trace. I've tried lots of lateral thinking but have not been able to track her down. She remains on the 'wanted list'!

Best wishes
Caroline
I am researching the name SELMES and in early 2012 I registered a one-name study with the Guild of One-Name Studies.
I am a Selmes descendant and almost all of my family lines come from Sussex, particularly East Sussex.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Jomot,

Good thinking Jomot; I had not got around to finalising John.

As to Myrtle:  its an interesting hypothesis Caroline.  I went back to the 1891 census in which Myrtle was listed as 13 making a birth around 1887 thus a birth in 1877 a distinct possibility.  She must have been at about 2 - 3 at her baptism in 1800. 

Her birth was registered Sep 1878 at Midhurst so is it possible she was about 9 - 10 months old at the registration of her birth?. 

I managed to locate the records to which you refer all bar the discharge to the Women's Home 25 Nov 1896.  Where did you manage to locate the discharge notice please Caroline?

It seems highly probable this Myrtle is, as you hypothise, 'my' Myrtle.  I will continue to see if I can locate this Myrtle's death. 

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Caroline,

I have located Myrtles discharge and now wonder where she may have been taken to when it notes "taken to a young womens home' at Lewisham?

Westy

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, just to add
Lewisham notes Myrtle as Removable
Says she was pregnant.
Creed register, Address of Relatives or Friends - "None Known"

Myrtle Louisa Sharp was born 23 Feb 1897 at Mile End Infirmary.
Mother Myrtle, age 19, was admitted 21 Feb, nearest relation - none given! Both Myrtles were discharged 9 April 1897.

It's possible perhaps that your Myrtle might have been sent out to service by the Midhurst poor law people. Could she even have been born in their workhouse, since her mother seems to be in it rather a lot? The LDS have filmed some of the A+ D records, and workhouse births and deaths, but the ones most likely to be relevant have not yet been digitized.
John

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Thanks for that information.  I had missed the discharge date of 9 April 1897.  Where were you able to locate that one please???  I shall go an locate it once I know.

I was unaware about the LDS and the digitization project so shall keep a look out for them.

Many thanks,

Westy