Author Topic: Any news on the GRO's pdf project?  (Read 4532 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Any news on the GRO's pdf project?
« on: Saturday 17 June 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Has anyone heard anything since the GRO 'trial run' a few months ago?  I bought a few of their £6 uncertified copies and was asked for feedback, which I duly gave asking them to make this service permanent (and cheaper, ideally!).

Yesterday, after ordering another £9.25 cert, I was asked to respond to a survey - this didn't happen on my last order which was seven or eight days ago.  Is everyone getting this, and is it too early to crack open the champagne :D

Carol (the optimist)
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on the GRO's pdf project?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
From experience of being in the Business User Group a few years ago, the 1st option is the least popular. The other reasons far out-weigh those for our hobby.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nifty1, the linked article from November 2016 is about the 'trial run' I mentioned above.

Dawnsh, does that mean GRO has conducted a similar survey in the past?  Otherwise I wonder how they would know how popular/unpopular the options are.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
I was involved in some of the consultation meetings with GRO at various stages of the trials - at the time the promise was that the responses would be analysed and they would then look at the options for permanent changes to the delivery systems offered.... the impression was that it would be a fairly quick process but that is a relative term in the world of government. I would hope to see something happen during the summer/early autumn.

My own hunch is that the pdf option will come back more or less as it was in the trials but will be accompanied by a small increase in the cost of paper copies (which hasn't changed for quite a few years now).....

We shall see ....

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
The "most popular" reason for certificates has always been passport applications, followed by the companies who order shed loads of certs for probate genealogy.

I just wish the GRO would get it's act together and now put the post 2007 indexes online. The have all the information but maybe not the inclination.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Antony, that's pretty much what I was hoping.  I'll defer ordering the champagne for now :)

Dawn, I was under the impression that GRO is now under the control of HM Passport Office and is not allowed to put the recent indexes online :-\

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
The position after taking legal advice was that the GRO was under no obligation to sell the indexes to 3rd parties but had to make them publically available, which they are at 7 host sites.

But that ruling was around 2008/2009 and here we are now with 10 years worth of fiche which need searching if you are looking for recent events which a a lot of people do both professionally and privately.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
I was involved in some of the consultation meetings with GRO at various stages of the trials - at the time the promise was that the responses would be analysed and they would then look at the options for permanent changes to the delivery systems offered.... the impression was that it would be a fairly quick process but that is a relative term in the world of government. I would hope to see something happen during the summer/early autumn.

My own hunch is that the pdf option will come back more or less as it was in the trials but will be accompanied by a small increase in the cost of paper copies (which hasn't changed for quite a few years now).....

We shall see ....

You could be right but as the GRO are forbidden to make a profit but simply cover their cost any change in price should be downward.
The reason for that is with the exception of marriages most BMDs have been digitised i.e.
Births: 1837-1934 and 2007 onwards
Deaths: 1837-1957 and 2007 onwards
Civil partnerships: 2005 onwards
Marriages: 2011 onwards

This digitisation allows fast location and printing of the relevant entries, thereby reducing manpower.
There is a gap between the digitised records and the records produced originally in digital format i.e. births between 1934 and 2007 and deaths between 1957 and 2007.
This gap period would require the same manpower as previously to produce certificates.

I would envisage that due to the above there would be no additional overheads and therefore the price could remain static.

The most sensible thing would be to licence historic registers to third party providers who could host them online in a similar way to census and the 1939 National Register at a fraction of the cost of the GRO system thereby reducing the burden on the GRO

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.