Author Topic: Any news on the GRO's pdf project?  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on the GRO's pdf project?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
I know that but the library version of either provider is not free, therefore the records are not provided by them free of charge

That all depends what you mean by free.
If you mean without paying any additional taxes other than what you pay already then visit the National Archives and you will be able to access them free of any additional charge.

I should also add that I had not noticed Barryd had requested the certificates distributed free of charge.
That will never happen, however if he meant giving the public free access to images of the registers (which is how I read the request) then my answer stands.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
I've got a local library five minutes walk away from me that provides FREE access to Ancestry and FindMyPast you don't have to spend a fortune on family history.

Blue

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
Me too, (well 10 mins walk) though I still prefer to do it from the comfort of my home  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
Free access is provided by the library but they have to pay ancestry or findmypast.

The funding for the library comes from the council taxes and not all councillors are in favour of family research. Many librarys are seeing cutbacks or closures and one thing that many are experiencing is a reduction in funding for things like genealogy.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Free access is provided by the library but they have to pay ancestry or findmypast.

The funding for the library comes from the council taxes and not all councillors are in favour of family research. Many librarys are seeing cutbacks or closures and one thing that many are experiencing is a reduction in funding for things like genealogy.

It's free for library users. If you ask the question where can I access the 1911 Census or the 1939 Register for free the answer is to find your nearest library with free access. There are also free weekends to access the 1911 Census. If you're lucky they might also include the 1939 Register.

Blue

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 July 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi David :)

It entirely depends on how badly you need the information.  I'm near Darwin waiting for a death cert that was evidently despatched on 9 June, but as there's no other way of finding the cause of death etc I'll just have to wait.

Do you have a helpful friend in the UK?  Ten days after ordering the death cert I had a bright idea.  I needed a marriage cert so got it sent to my sister in England.  Despatched 21 June, delivered to Sis 24 June (Saturday!), scanned and emailed to me same day.

Carol
Thanks Carol

Actually my sons gf is heading that way/ Have already asked her to go to Gloucester and chase up a pesky Westmacott/Wennicott brick wall.

Apart from that I shall have to order and wait. June 9th hey, a month ago :( all it is is a look see at a bastards BC to see if any clues to father can be had, though a marriage did occur soon after birth

Thanks

Later, I reported the cert as 'not received' via GRO's website and they offered to resend it to the same address within two days free of charge.  Three days ago I said 'yes please' and added 'I would much prefer to receive orders by email as per your recent pilot scheme - will this be possible?' 

Yesterday they confirmed the order will be resent, and added this:
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 July 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
(cont.)
That confirms what Antony said earlier.  At least we can say they're thinking about it :)

And just to round it off, I'll now have to contact them again ....................... because today, five weeks after it was sent - by airmail - the 'missing' cert has arrived :o ::)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol

sigh
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 14 July 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
(cont.)

And just to round it off, I'll now have to contact them again ....................... because today, five weeks after it was sent - by airmail - the 'missing' cert has arrived :o ::)

Carol

Don't worry about it Carol, they can't stop the process once it has started, you'll get the 'replacement' in the fullness of time.

The GRO don't use airmail for overseas post to your neck of the woods.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea