Author Topic: Clogger in Rochdale  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Creary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clogger in Rochdale
« on: Saturday 17 June 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks:

I had a relative who lived in Roahdale and I believe buried there.

In 1841-51 it says he was a "Timber Merchant and Clog and Boot Dealer" on Oldham Road, Rochdale, Lancaster, Manchester., England.

His name was Fletcher Bolton and married to Phoebe Robinson at St. Chad's Church, Rochdale in 1829.

My question is how well did a "clogger" do during this period and is there any history on this gentleman still around?

Many thanks,
Creary

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Clogger in Rochdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome.
Well your clog maker appeared to be doing well.
Like many businessmen he had more than one iron in the fire.
In 1861 he's making & selling clogs from his shop as well as timber.
Clogs were very cheap & he would have had to make a lot to make any money which he seems to be doing as he's employing 10 men.
You may find him in trade directories.
Forgot to mention he left over £15,000 in his will which was a huge amount.
They're still in business today as a timber merchants pretty much in the same place.
That's history.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Clogs were standard footwear in mill towns, cheap to make and they lasted a long time.
They needed little attention apart from renewing the irons which kept the wooden sole from touching the floor .The leather uppers also needed to be kept supple and if not boot polish then lard was sometimes used but you could not get a nice shine on them with that.

The sound of clogs in the early morning streets as people wended their way to work is something I`d love to hear again . Someone wrote about that.

What I can`t understand is why the address is:- Rochdale, Lancaster. Manchester.
Rochdale was a town in its own right and quite a few miles from Manchester.
As is Lancaster but many more miles away, so perhaps it was an error  and ought to have been Lancashire, even so it is all in the wrong order.
                                                                     Viktoria.

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 17 05:36 BST (UK) »

When I was young, I lived with my parents on Whitworth Road in Rochdale, and attended Greenbank Primary School on Cronkeyshaw Common.

Most of the kids at school wore clogs.  The lads used to run along the playground, then slide for the last few yards.  This made the “irons” of their clogs very hot.  They would then pick on one of the girls and try to press their clogs onto their legs.

It didn’t half hurt.  It was liked being burnt with a hot poker.

Offline Creary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
My "clogger" friends:
I want to thank you for your replies to my inquiry to my relative who lived in Rochdale.
I  find he lived at 45 Oldham Road, Rochdale in a 1841-51 Census.
On the Census it mentioned he was a Timber Merchant and Clog and Boot Dealer.
At that time he has 5 workers two apprentices.
Hi name was Fletcher Bolton. Born in Of Warrington, Lancashire, 1807 and died 1884. He is buried in Rochdale. I believe at St. Chad's.

Again, Thank You for your relies.
Creary

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 22:08 BST (UK) »

What I can`t understand is why the address is:- Rochdale, Lancaster. Manchester.
Rochdale was a town in its own right and quite a few miles from Manchester.
As is Lancaster but many more miles away, so perhaps it was an error  and ought to have been Lancashire, even so it is all in the wrong order.
                                                                     Viktoria.

Rochdale is still officially a town and is still in the old County of Lancashire but it's now one of ten districts in a Metropolitan Borough area named "Greater Manchester".   What surprises me is that the City of Salford (where you'll find Salford Quays) is also in the same Metropolitan Borough of Greater Manchester.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Yes now Rena, but not then .Greater Manchester was the result of someone`s disordered thinking.!
Many small towns were attached to larger ones as with Ramsbottom and Bury but then they were in turn swallowed up by Manchester.
Ramsbottom residents often tell of how much better things were prior to the amalgamation with Bury.
.Roads in good order, grids cleaned regularly,a bus service which ran to time.
Public buildings  and    schools in good order.
When we started living there sadly it was in Greater M/C. Not now but still in with Bury but we seem to be the end of the line and residents feel Ramsbottom   is very neglected.
Still then a mystery why the address is as shown.
                                                                            Viktoria.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 June 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
I've actually worn clogs (clugs!  rubber soled boots never lasted five minutes,) when working in an iron-foundry, are they still made one wonders?

Skoosh.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 June 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
Rochdale was a County Borough, that is to say that it had its own police force and a council with the responsibilities and status of a county.  This lasted until the hideous conglomeration called Greater Manchester was created in 1974.

TinaRoyal
I wonder if our paths crossed once upon a time?  I lived on Clarkes Lane and often walked across Cronkeyshaw Common to my aunt's near the pond in Syke .

Viktoria
I, too, remember the clatter of the millworkers' clogs on the pavement as they passed our house in the early mornings.  it used to drive our dog mad!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.