Author Topic: Birth Certificates  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Jan_down_south

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hannah Siddall nee Jagger circa 1939
    • View Profile
Birth Certificates
« on: Saturday 17 June 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
Good evening all

I have found a birth certificate which I am 99.9% confident is correct.  Can anyone tell me if the birth certificate includes the mother's maiden name?

The reason I ask is I have found the parents marriage but there are three entries, all on the same page, with the same (correct) details for the groom but the bride has three different surnames but the right first name????

If I order the BC and the mother's name is there I will know which marriage entry is correct.

What do you think?

TIA
Jan 

PS: First venture into Scottish records
Halifax -  Pratt, Lord, Blagbrough (Blakebrough), Naylor, Atkinson, Southwood, Cockroft, Hoyle, Dry, Denton, Barker and McDermott
Bradford/Clayton - Jagger
Bradford - Denton
Southowram - Pratt, Jagger
Hartshead/Clifton - Pratt
Sowerby - Siddall
Pershore Worcs - Clarke, Checketts
Lord, Ontario, Canada

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Scottish/English/Welsh birth certs all show mothers maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 17 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Assuming the person is deceased can you please post details?

Have you tried looking on SP index under each surname to same Groom's name & compare the Ref. No's?

If those Ref. No's are the same then it's the same person but this would indicate her maiden name & 2 previous marriages or 1 other marriage & change of surname...an aka?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
The reason I ask is I have found the parents marriage but there are three entries, all on the same page, with the same (correct) details for the groom but the bride has three different surnames but the right first name????

I should have enquired in my original reply, were each in the same Registration District?

If the groom had a common forename & surname it's likely there were more than one?

Are the years all the same for the 3 female surnames too?

Do you mean the Index when you say 'page'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
I have found a birth certificate which I am 99.9% confident is correct.  Can anyone tell me if the birth certificate includes the mother's maiden name?
Yes.

Unlike England, Wales and Ireland, where a reference is to a page in the registers and several entries can have the same reference, every birth, marriage and death registered in Scotland has a unique reference number. Moreover, again unlike England and Wales, the GROS reference number is the same as the reference number used by the local registrars.

So if the reference for the groom is the same, then it's not three different marriages, it's just one marriage indexed three times.

If a woman marries more than once, the second and subsequent marriages are normally indexed by her maiden surname and by all her previous husbands' surnames.

When you get round to looking for her death, it should be indexed by her maiden surname and by all her husbands' surnames, and the death certificate should tell you the names and occupations of all the husbands as well as the full names of both her parents, including her mother's maiden name.

And the marriage certificate will tell you the full names of both sets of parents, including the couple's mothers' maiden names, and the birth certificate will tell you the date and place of the parents' marriage.

PS: First venture into Scottish records
You will find that the civil registration records are far more informative than the English and Welsh ones, but statutory registration in Scotland only started in 1855, and the church records up to 1854 are not always as informative as one might wish.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
Well done Forfarian,

As always, you have given the enquirer perfectly sound and correct advice regarding Scottish certificates without leading them down the garden path into a maze. Well done and keep up the good work.

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile