Author Topic: Harvey family of Horsley Gloucestershire  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Harvey family of Horsley Gloucestershire
« on: Sunday 18 June 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to untangle my Harvey ancestors and am getting in a bit of a muddle so am hoping to get some help or fresh eyes.

My ancestor Elizabeth Harvey was born in 1797 to Samuel and Hannah Harvey née Newth.  I'm fairly sorted with Elizabeth who married Edward Moore (a waterman) and had 3 daughters before Edward was killed in a boxing match in 1822 she then married Robert Atkinson and had another daughter Sophia.  I descend from her middle daughter Harriet who married Charles Clark a Timber merchant. Her sister Sophia married his brother George.

Harriet and Charles' youngest daughter Amelia is the mother of my Great grandfather Ted Clark (father unknown) he migrated to West Australia after the First World War  with his wife Daisy and the first 7 of their 9 children including my grandfather who was their first born.  He was born in Stroud.

I've had a DNA match to a descendant of Cornelius Harvey who was Elizabeth's brother. 

I've also had other matches to the Harvey family and it's those I'm trying to figure out as I think they go further back.

Samuel according to his death was born around 1761 but the only baptisim I can find is one baptised 1768 to John and Elizabeth Harvey which I guess could be him as death age might be wrong or he may have been baptised as a child and not a baby as I've seen several times. 

Trouble is I think there are two John and Elizabeth Harvey's in the area of similar age and I now I'm completely lost

One couple John and Elizabeth Harvey née Nicholls marry in sept  1755 the other couple John and Elizabeth Harvey née Clayfield marry in 1753.  There is a son Thomas in 1754 which I assume is second couple then there is a John baptised January 1756 which most trees have him as the son of John and Elizabeth Harvey née Nicholls ... which would mean she was very pregnant at their wedding.  There are several more children in that time frame which could belong to either couple including my Samuel.  I don't know if there is anyway to seperate them apart from perhaps finding other Harvey descendants.  To complicate things more I found one John Harvey baptised 1724 to William and Hannah Harvey and another John Harvey baptised 1731 to Edward Harvey.  So I don't even know which John is which :-)

I have DNA matches to a descendant of an Anthony Harvey baptised 1806 son of Thomas and Hester Harvey.  And I've also had matches to descendants of an Isaac Harvey 1839 who married Kesia Shipton ... however in a twist I'm also distantly related to Kesia via her mother Clara Jane Shipton née Wells .. her grandmother was Sarah Guy daughter of Robert and Sarah Guy née Allen ... Sarah Allen remarries Charles Newth after Robert dies and their daughter Hannah Newth is who married Samuel Harvey ... so we twist back to the Harvey family.

I'm sure I've probably confused who ever might take the time to read my post ... but I've looked and looked and I can't sort them out.

Anyone willing to have a fresh look ... it would be much appreciated ... my tree on ancestry is public ... I've pretty much just popped both wives of John Harvey onto one for now along with all the children in that time frame until I can figure it out.

Blessings
Deb

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Harvey family of Horsley Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
One couple John and Elizabeth Harvey née Nicholls marry in sept  1755 the other couple John and Elizabeth Harvey née Clayfield marry in 1753.  There is a son Thomas in 1754 which I assume is second couple then there is a John baptised January 1756 which most trees have him as the son of John and Elizabeth Harvey née Nicholls ... which would mean she was very pregnant at their wedding.  There are several more children in that time frame which could belong to either couple including my Samuel.  I don't know if there is anyway to seperate them apart from perhaps finding other Harvey descendants.  To complicate things more I found one John Harvey baptised 1724 to William and Hannah Harvey and another John Harvey baptised 1731 to Edward Harvey.  So I don't even know which John is which :-)

Do all of these events take place in Horsley ?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Yes I believe so

At least all those early Harvey's are.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Did any family members leave wills? Sometimes people write really helpful things in wills, my son or daughter the wife of X or I have one with the children of my niece the wife of X.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
I will check ... I know there is a rather lengthy will for a John Harvey - gentlemen and he is one of the sons born to John and Elizabeth Harvey ... I suspect his mother was Elizabeth Clayfield as he names a sone Giles which could be her fathers name ... lots of digging still to do :-)

Blessings
Deb

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Deb

If you have gedmatch check my number with yours as I have Horsley Clayfields in my family. It may eliminate one of your candidates or it may muddy.

T812072
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 18 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi David it's not something I've yet done keep telling myself to do it, not that I fully understand how that all works.  But will give it a go.

Since I made this post I've had more ancestry matches to Harvey family members but they are all ones that like me go back to ancestor with no baptisim record, however I was sent a copy of a baptisim for my ancestor Samuel Harvey as an old man! I know it's him as it's the same abode as the cencus record and his burial, but of course at that age there are no parents listed and now makes  me think John and Elizabeth are not his parents.  Funnily enough I do match to a Clayfield descendant as well but as I poked through that tree I could see we were also related in a different way  via Samuels great granddaughter Clara Harvey, although the match is a strong one so I just don't know.  I suspect perhaps in a small place like Horsfield I'm probably related to all of them :-)

I will let you know when I've worked out GED match I have an apple lap top so I need to refind the instructions on how to do it.

Blessings
Deb