Author Topic: Devon Marriage Records  (Read 695 times)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devon Marriage Records
« on: Sunday 18 June 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
I wondered if a kind Rootschatter had access to Devon marriage records for 1875?

I an trying to find the father of a Philip Hingston who married Henrietta Ann H White in Plymouth in Q1 1875.  Ref 5b 464.

I have narrowed the Philips down to a couple of possibles but without the father's name I am stuck.  I am helping out as a volunteer on a one name study project so this is not my personal tree.

Any help would be appreciated.

CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Devon Marriage Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Would you please list the two possibles in case it helps.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the reply.

I have Philip Albert Hingston, born 1856, Plymouth Charles, who died in 1884, or just possibly his father, Philip who was married to Jenny Rhimes, the mother of Philip Albert.

I can't find anything definite on Henrietta.  There was one child, Robert Charles Hingston, born 1877,mmn White, who died in 1878.   The whole thing would fit if there was a death for Henrietta between 1875 and 1881 as Philip Albert married Mary Jane Martin in 1881 and had 2 children, Philip Daniel 1882 and Blanche Matilda 1884.  Children were with their Martin grandparents in 1891 and 1901 as their mother had also died.

Just to complicate matters, since I posted I found a Henrietta Ann White born in 1857 in Siston, near Bristol and an 1851 census for Philip Hingston born 1828 in Westbury on Trym, near Bristol living in Siston, working as a servant.  A big age difference but who knows?  I can't seem to find this Philip on other censuses. 

So ideally the father's name seems to be the best way forward as I can then go back to the existing Hingston trees to compare.

CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
I had a look and came to the same conclusion as you regarding Philip Albert
You may already have this but Iíll post it anyway
Births
Philip Thomas Hingston
Dec 1851
Plymouth
 9 408
MMN Rymes

Philip Albert Hingston
Apr 1856
Plymouth
5b 228
MMN Rimes

Death
Philip Thomas Hingston
Apr 1855
Plymouth
5b 198
Buried 29-4-55
Ford Park Cemetery, Plymouth

Baptisms of

Philip Thomas
Parents  Philip Hingston & Jane

Philip Albert
Parents  Philip Hingston & Jane Rhymes

Marriage of Philip & Jane

12-10-1847
Berry Pomeroy (brideís parish)
His father Philipp
Her father Peter

Philipp Hingston
Jane Rhimes
Dec 1847
Totnes
9 641

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  I think I had seen most of it.  I have spent hours on this!  It is just the missing link to the father of Philip that I need to then try to tie him in to a family tree.  The Bristol link will keep me busy for a while no doubt!

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Completed - Devon Marriage Records
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 June 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
This has now been completed.  Comberton, it was Philip the elder!