Author Topic: Devon Marriage Records  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devon Marriage Records
« on: Sunday 18 June 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
I wondered if a kind Rootschatter had access to Devon marriage records for 1875?

I an trying to find the father of a Philip Hingston who married Henrietta Ann H White in Plymouth in Q1 1875.  Ref 5b 464.

I have narrowed the Philips down to a couple of possibles but without the father's name I am stuck.  I am helping out as a volunteer on a one name study project so this is not my personal tree.

Any help would be appreciated.

CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Devon Marriage Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Would you please list the two possibles in case it helps.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the reply.

I have Philip Albert Hingston, born 1856, Plymouth Charles, who died in 1884, or just possibly his father, Philip who was married to Jenny Rhimes, the mother of Philip Albert.

I can't find anything definite on Henrietta.  There was one child, Robert Charles Hingston, born 1877,mmn White, who died in 1878.   The whole thing would fit if there was a death for Henrietta between 1875 and 1881 as Philip Albert married Mary Jane Martin in 1881 and had 2 children, Philip Daniel 1882 and Blanche Matilda 1884.  Children were with their Martin grandparents in 1891 and 1901 as their mother had also died.

Just to complicate matters, since I posted I found a Henrietta Ann White born in 1857 in Siston, near Bristol and an 1851 census for Philip Hingston born 1828 in Westbury on Trym, near Bristol living in Siston, working as a servant.  A big age difference but who knows?  I can't seem to find this Philip on other censuses. 

So ideally the father's name seems to be the best way forward as I can then go back to the existing Hingston trees to compare.

CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
I had a look and came to the same conclusion as you regarding Philip Albert
You may already have this but I’ll post it anyway
Births
Philip Thomas Hingston
Dec 1851
Plymouth
 9 408
MMN Rymes

Philip Albert Hingston
Apr 1856
Plymouth
5b 228
MMN Rimes

Death
Philip Thomas Hingston
Apr 1855
Plymouth
5b 198
Buried 29-4-55
Ford Park Cemetery, Plymouth

Baptisms of

Philip Thomas
Parents  Philip Hingston & Jane

Philip Albert
Parents  Philip Hingston & Jane Rhymes

Marriage of Philip & Jane

12-10-1847
Berry Pomeroy (bride’s parish)
His father Philipp
Her father Peter

Philipp Hingston
Jane Rhimes
Dec 1847
Totnes
9 641

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  I think I had seen most of it.  I have spent hours on this!  It is just the missing link to the father of Philip that I need to then try to tie him in to a family tree.  The Bristol link will keep me busy for a while no doubt!

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Completed - Devon Marriage Records
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 June 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
This has now been completed.  Comberton, it was Philip the elder!