Author Topic: Whittingham Monumental Inscriptions  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whittingham Monumental Inscriptions
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 22:45 BST (UK) »
aww that's nice of you.
errmm, but ..
Please Gillian, pretty please . .
where can I find John Mavin's death record? I've looked, honest, but am failing.
:-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 22:54 BST (UK) »

where can I find John Mavin's death record? I've looked, honest, but am failing.
:-)

Boo

answering my own post (been a long day)
either I didn't read all of Gillian's post (apologies) or she's added to it (thank you)

Will look in the US federal census mortality records tomorrow.

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
sorry I added to it,just in from work and missed your reply

there is also a marriage of a William Mavin,in Loudon in 1846 but I can't seem to get any further with it
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
sorry I added to it,just in from work and missed your reply

there is also a marriage of a William Mavin,in Loudon in 1846 but I can't seem to get any further with it

and now that I have calmed down after such an exciting and productive day, I just looked at that passenger list again. doh!
I looked 'below' Thomas Mavin, but missed looking 'above' his name.

William (40) and Robert (44) Mavin were also on the Tameneno. So , from my list of known children - about a mile up there somewhere I now have them all accounted for.

John stayed in Glanton (apart from a year or so in Lowick) then at some stage (either before or after the death of his wife, can't yet be sure) went to the US and died there
Richard - died in 1828, buried at Whittingham
Elizabeth  - Married George Hornsby in 1828 at Lowick and they both went to the US in 1834, she died 1854, not yet sure when he died and they are not yet found on US 1850 census
Margery - went to the US in 1834 with the rest of them, died in 1848, buried at St James Episcopal Cemetery, Loundon County she is down on there as Margaret, but the birth year is right and the entry says she was Miss Mavin so I am reasonably sure, unless anything else crops up
Robert was on the Tameneno in 1834, will see what if anything I can find for him in the US
George, stayed in the UK, died 1845 buried at Whittingham
William - went to the US in 1834 - will poke round the records for him too
Thomas - went to US in 1834, died 30 Nov 1834 in USA.

Full house :-) Well, I still have a lot of work to do to see what else can be found but its good to have a general idea about all of them at this stage.

Thanks again

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 05:40 BST (UK) »
Loundon County VA archives
hold the alien papers for some of your ancestors
George Hornsby 1835
William Mavin 1844
Robert Mavin 1835
this is where here is a marriage for William Mavin in 1846 to Ann B Wampler,December 19th 1846

and quite a few mentions of Mavin's Mill
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Loundon County VA archives
hold the alien papers for some of your ancestors
George Hornsby 1835
William Mavin 1844
Robert Mavin 1835
this is where here is a marriage for William Mavin in 1846 to Ann B Wampler,December 19th 1846

and quite a few mentions of Mavin's Mill

Thanks, I sent off an enquiry last night to Loudoun County asking about getting a copy of their marriage bond. Found them on the 1850 and 1860 census returns (though the Hornsby are still elusive). William was described as Farmer in 1850 and Miller in 1860. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ka1/ that is his grave and the marriage bond may confirm that Ann was a widow when they married (though the census returns suggest that info about children from a previous marriage is correct).
I'd forgotten just how much fun it is to research an 'almost' unknown family. From having  folders with names of possible children of Robert Mavin and Mary Morton along with screenshots of IGI baptism entries, in the space of a couple of days I have LOTS of info to sort, verify and document properly before making pages for each of them to add to my tree website.

William Mavin and John Mavin seem to be the only two of this family to have children. I know lots about John's descendants (me for a start!) and will investigate William's offspring.

Its amazing that all of this info is just littered around the web and can, on the whole, be found from the comfort of home. I LOVE the interweb thingy!

As I seem to have wildly veered away from the original subject header for this thread and the info may be of interest to others at some stage I'll ask a moderator about changing the subject or splitting the thread. The search facility on RC is a really good resource and in the past has led me to info about various people and also tips on how and where to search for records.

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
I have nothing to back this up Boo but I think John went to America  before 1841
he's mentioned in a schedul but the 1841 state census do not contain details other than he was a free white man and employed

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
I have nothing to back this up Boo but I think John went to America  before 1841
he's mentioned in a schedul but the 1841 state census do not contain details other than he was a free white man and employed

I agree, I have that too and have looked at every John (with a surname that in your wildest imagination 'may' have been a misread Mavin) in the passenger lists from 1820 to 1850 and nothing coming up that could even be described as a straw to clutch at.

I was coming to the conclusion that he may have gone earlier (? leaving his wife in Glanton and forgetting to go back for her/ she refused to go to America - who knows?) as he is not to be found, at least by me in the UK 1841 census returns.

That 1841US census does say that there are 3 adult white (lord help us, we are lucky that we at least never had to specify colour of skin on a census, but that's down to geography the UK  made oodles of money out of the slave trade but distanced itself from the actuality of it) males in the household, 2 aged 50-60 and one aged 40-50 - which would match for John, Robert and William and one adult white female aged 40 - 50 who could possibly be Margery if she fibbed a bit about her age (not unknown)
All 3 males were employed in manufacturing or trade. There was also a Free Coloured Female who, I assume may have been employed to help Margery with the cooking and cleaning. If it is my lot I am heartened to note that there were no slaves present in this household - though if there were I hope I'd just take the attitude that, wrong though it most definitely was, I can't judge the people from the past from my present day perspective.

I have found, in old newspapers, an announcement of the sale of a farm, with house an carpenters workshop by the executor of John Mavin in 1851. That Loudoun County site has lists of wills and there is one for John Mavin, plus land deeds which indicate transfer of property from the executor of JM to Wm Mavin etc.
I still have nothing to definitely say, one way or another if he's the JM I am looking for other than those deed links to William and the whole family being in the same place. I will try to obtain a copy of the will to see if it will tie it up but no online payment facility (if you want to pay by card you have to go in person - hmm does the 28 bus go past there?) and cheques seem to be the only way to pay which is difficult from a UK bank. Other than that I may have to find a researcher who will go to the archives and get me a copy / transcribe the will for less than a Kings Ransom I suppose. I wouldn't do it for a twiglet but this John is my 3x G Grandad and I try as far as I can to document the direct line in as much detail as I possibly can.

Thanks Gillian, for the interest shown and the help given my better half tends to glaze over somewhat when I am in the throes of trying to suss family history out so your interest and independent searching has been not only helpful but enjoyable :-). Much appreciated.

I may shove John Mavin in the drawer for a week or so to get some distance, spend the time making the pages for my tree site and re-visit him after that when I can maybe look at what I have again to see if there is anything I have missed.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 June 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
YESSSS!!! It's DEFINITELY my John Mavin :-)
<Boo is doing the happy dance like a woman demented here)

I had emailed the Loudoun County Court Archives section about the will and, bless them, they have sent me .pdfs of the will and executors accounts. I still have to figure out how to get the payment of $4.50 (plus the $1.50 I owe for the scanned copy of Robert's marriage bond) to them but I may just stick $10 in an envelope and post it off :-) - I always pay my debts.

The will says he had fallen out with his brothers (said they cheated him) which explains why his executor was not one of them. The executors accounts and detail show that he had children in England, one of whom had acted as John's legal representative when John's brother George died and (I think) they did a sort of deal whereby rather than send the money to England, the children kept the money due to John's brothers from George's will and the brothers in the US got the cash from John's estate - if that makes sense. Its also now definite that John went to the US prior to 1840, though still not sure exactly when.

The lovely lady from the Court Archives also has pointed me to Chancery Records for Virginia which has online scans of the court case that resulted from the 'cheating' that John mentioned in the will.

I have a LOT of pages to transcribe, though the originals are super, I find I understand this stuff better if I type it out and put in good stuff like paragraphs and punctuation.

Thank you Gillian, for all your help and, if anyone has had the patience to follow all of this, it just goes to show that if you poke and prod and ask and don't give up, you CAN get the results you want - often as a result  of the kindness of total strangers such as the lady at the court office.
I can't believe that in the space of 4 days I have gone from, I wonder when he died? to having all this super, super detail.

Boo