Author Topic: Passport requirements when travelling to the US 1909-23 ?  (Read 842 times)

Offline arno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Passport requirements when travelling to the US 1909-23 ?
« on: Sunday 18 June 17 12:39 BST (UK) »

I know my grandfather Edward Thomas ARNOLD born 1878 in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire - died 1929 traveled to US in Feb 1910, back to England in May 1914 got married to Harriett KEY in Derbyshire returned to US later in July 1914 and finally returned to England in 1922.

I have found him on all the relevant passenger lists documents.

I assume he would have needed a British Passport to travel to the US?

Are there any records available?
(He did become a Naturalized citizen of the USA in Jan 1919 and obtained a US Passport in Nov 1921)

Any advice would be much appreciated

Regards Arno

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passport requirements when travelling to the US 1909-23 ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Passports, as we know them, came into being after WW1 - more specifically in 1920 after a League of Nations agreement.

Quoting from The National Archives:
Before the First World War it was not compulsory for someone travelling abroad to apply for a passport.

Possession of a passport was confined largely to merchants and diplomats, and the vast majority of those travelling overseas had no formal documents.

See: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/passports/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline arno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Passport requirements when travelling to the US 1909-23 ?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information.
I've learnt something new!!! Again.