Author Topic: Mary, Mary  (Read 849 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary, Mary
« on: Sunday 18 June 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm hoping someone here will be able to check for a burial which can help me identify which out of two women (with the same name, and born in the same place is my ancestor).

Henry Blanchett (Branchett, Blanchet, Blanchitt) married Mary Foreman in Chartham (St Mary) on 24 November 1721. They had 4, possibly 5, children born between 1724 and 1732 in Chilham, Charing, and Chartham. I don't have my list with their names and dates to hand but I'll add those details later.

The problem I have is that I've identified four Marys who were born around about the right time to be his wife. There are two in Chartham, and two in Hernhill as follows :

Mary Foreman d Nicholas and Margaret chr 3 May 1681 Hernhill

Mary Foreman d Thomas and Ann chr 26 Aug 1683 Chartham

Mary Foreman d James and Mary chr 6 Jan 1684 Chartham

Mary Foreman d Nicholas and Margaret chr 29 April 1688 Chartham.

I've managed to find burials for the two daughters of Nicholas in Hernhill, in 1682 and 1692/93 respectively. This leaves me with the two Marys born in Chartham in 1683 and 1684.

I suspect that the Mary christened in 1684 is my ancestor but I'm not sure.

There's also a Mary christened in Ickham on 7 November 1697 to Stephen and Ann but this seems a bit too far away from Chartham.

Is anyone able to check if either of the two Marys in Chartham died young or suggest how I could work out which married Henry?

Many thanks

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary, Mary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

There are no burials, at Chartham, for a Mary Foreman that can be linked to either of the baptisms you list.

However, there are two marriages that suggest, you may have to rethink!

At Chartham,
1708 Jan 8 Thomas Page and Mary Foreman

At St Alphege, Canterbury,
1709 Nov 15 Edward Bartlett (Stourmouth) and Mary Foreman (of Chartham)

The nearest Mary Foreman I can find is from Petham (neighbouring Parish)
1692 Apr 3 Mary d/o Daniel and Mary Foreman

Over to you.

Tony