Author Topic: Is there a way to trace a house's history?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to trace a house's history?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help everyone.

Jane Harrison suffered from dementia in her later life. She wandered away from home and on the 31st of October 1928 was found dead in a field at the Rising Sun near North Shields so her date of death is fairly certain. Unfortunately that means the lady Rosie99 found isn't her.

As a side note, Jane is a bit of a mystery, her maiden name was Bailey although she may also be Jane Briley born 12 Dec 1948 in Stockton workhouse. Her name keeps changing and her birth certificate, which I've seen, has no father's details recorded on it.

Jane was a very secretive person who cut herself off from her family when she married Robert (possibly to hide being born in the workhouse??). No one knows why she did this but Jane Alice Harrison said that when she was a child some of her mothers family called unexpectedly one Sunday and were sent away and never came back.

Jane Alice married in 1908 so would have been Mrs J Beavers by the date we are interested in so it couldn't be her either.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
That was sad to hear about Jane wandering with dementia and dying alone.  :'(

Are the electoral registers for around 1936 available to view, they should give a first name for Mrs J Harrison where the street directory only shows initials.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
My internet connection is horrible today so I can't open the image for this article from the British Newspapers on FMPast:

31st ult, Jane, beJoved wile of the late Robert Harrison. Interment at Preston Cemetery Thursday, leaving residence. 163 Grey Street, at 2.45 p.m. for service Christ Church. All mends kindly Invited. , . November 2, 1927 - Shields Daily News - Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear, England

Maureen

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
OH! Just realised that your Jane died in 1927 not 1928.

So someone in the family was living at 163 Grey Street in 1927.

Maureen

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Rosie I'll have a look when I can get into the library, I think they do hold the registers for the 30's.

Maureen I've had a look at the newspapers on FindMyPast that you mentioned. I'm going to speak to Jane's grand daughter again to try and double check the dates, that's a huge coincidence if it's not her, particularly the story about her going missing although I believe it did happen more than once.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
This is what I found in other trade/postal directories today.

1915 - Mrs E Wallace - 163 Grey St, NS
1921 - Robert Harrison, 27 Dockwray Square NS
1925 Kellys - Robert Harrison, 27 Dockwray Square, NS
1929 - nothing in that one
1932 Wards - Mrs J Harrison 163 Grey St, NS
1938 Wards - Robert Harrison, butcher,147 West Percy St NS
1938 Wards - Mrs J Harrison, 163 Grey St, NS
1940 Wards - Mrs J Harrison, 163 Grey St, NS
1960s Blairs - no entry for 163 Grey St just the neighbours.

They didnt have any other directories for the North Shields area on any other relevant dates.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE