Author Topic: Susanna May  (Read 1764 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Susanna May
« on: Sunday 18 June 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Just a quick question for everyone here

My ancestor John Noble was married to Susanna May in Boughton under Blean in about 1759.

I'm trying to establish where Susanna was from as I've not been able to find a christening for her in BuB.

I've come up with two candidates who were born around about the right time, but in different parishes.

Susanna May d of Thomas and Susanna - christened 27 Feb 1736 Crundale

Susanna May d of William and Martha - christened 27 August 1738 Faversham.

Originally I had suspected that the Martha christened in Crundale was mine, until I found the christening in Faversham. Faversham boarders BuB and my ancestors did move between these two parishes. Crundale on the other hand is a bit of a distance away (8 or 9 miles I think).

Whilst it's not impossible that Susanna moved from Crundale to BuB, I think that the Susanna christened in Faversham is more likely to be my ancestor. It seems more likely for John and Susanna to have met if they lived in neighbouring Parishes.

What does everyone else think? Can I ignore the Mays in Crundale and focus on those in Faversham for now?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

Matt

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Susanna May
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 June 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
Have you considered that she could have been born in Boughton under Blean - there is an Arthur May and his wife Ann baptising children there around the right time.

I would not discount someone living 8/9 miles away
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Tis me again!

The marriage took place at Blean not BuB.

John Noble was of Hackington (St Stephen) and Susanna May was of the Parish.

I would put forward this lady as another candidate, as baptised at Hackington (alias St Stephen)

1732 June 10 Susanna MAY d/o of William & Alice

John and Susanna Noble seem to move to Herne and had nine children the last baptised in 1776.

However, there is also a Family in Boughton under Blean with matching parent's names, of a slightly later issue.  First baptism in 1771 and last in 1783.

Just to be certain which line is yours?

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Have you considered that she could have been born in Boughton under Blean - there is an Arthur May and his wife Ann baptising children there around the right time.

I would not discount someone living 8/9 miles away

Hiya

No I hadn't discounted that possibility at all, it was my first thought. However so far I haven't found any sign of a Susanna May born there.

I haven't completely discounted the Mays in Crundale though, although it seems more likely for John and Susanna to have met if they lived in nearby parishes. However until I find a death/burial/marriage which rules one out, both are possibilities.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Tis me again!

The marriage took place at Blean not BuB.

John Noble was of Hackington (St Stephen) and Susanna May was of the Parish.

I would put forward this lady as another candidate, as baptised at Hackington (alias St Stephen)

1732 June 10 Susanna MAY d/o of William & Alice

John and Susanna Noble seem to move to Herne and had nine children the last baptised in 1776.

However, there is also a Family in Boughton under Blean with matching parent's names, of a slightly later issue.  First baptism in 1771 and last in 1783.

Just to be certain which line is yours?

Tony

Hi Tony

Well this confusing things a lot lol! Especially as I have three dates, and three places for the marriage. The marriage is recorded on Findmypast three times which gives the following details:

John Noble and Susannah May - 16 Sep 1759 Boughton under Blean (St Peter & St Paul), Kent
Source: Canterbury Mar Banns 1754-1823 [CCA U3/62/1/4][FindMyPast]

John Noble and Susannah May - 30 Sep 1759 Hackington (St Stephen), Kent   
Source: Canterbury Mar Banns 1756-1811 [CCA U3/39/1/7][FindMyPast]

John Noble and Susannah May - 10 Oct 1759 Boughton under Blean (St Peter & St Paul), Kent
Source   [Familysearch.org], PR 1686-1774 [CCA U3/62/1/2][FindMyPast]

The first two of these sound like they refer to the Banns of marriage but I have always found it odd that there are different dates on them. Obviously the third entry refers to the actual marriage itself.
However the marriage is recorded as taking place at Blean on 10 October 1759 and at Hackington on 30 September 1759 on Familysearch.

These are from my notes on the computer so I will have to check my file of original records for other details. I have a copy of the marriage entry of John and Susanna so I think that will give more details. Interestingly I suspect that John may have been christened in Hackington in either 1727 or 1728 the son of Richard and Elizabeth Noble.

John and Susanna had several children including my ancestor Sarah Noble who was born in Boughton under Blean in 1774.

I'll have to check my notes and then I can let you know who the others were. Interestingly one of their children was named Susanna Elizabeth Noble, and I suspect the middle name may have come from one of her grandmothers.

More details to follow.....

Matt

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 June 17 06:35 BST (UK) »

Hiya

No I hadn't discounted that possibility at all, it was my first thought. However so far I haven't found any sign of a Susanna May born there.

Just wondering whether you are searching registers or relying on online sources.  I am only asking as I am aware that on some occasions familysearch only lists either the male or female baptisms in a parish.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 June 17 19:43 BST (UK) »

Hiya

Just wondering whether you are searching registers or relying on online sources.  I am only asking as I am aware that on some occasions familysearch only lists either the male or female baptisms in a parish.

Hi

To be honest my notes on the May family are a few years old as I haven't looked at them in a while. When it comes to getting information I use a combination of both online and original sources. I tend to use online resources as a starting point to lead to the original parish registers and other documents.

Unfortunately though I don't live in Kent so can't access the archives to view original records. I used to view filmed copied of the registers at the Family History Centre in London, however the films have now moved to the Society of Genealogists. Unfortunately as I don't live in London it is too expensive for me to visit the SoG as I don't drive and would therefore have to pay both train fare and entrance fee which I currently can't afford.

However having said that I am hoping to rejoin them soon as a member so I will be able to visit and double check any records I have.

So as I say I use both, online sources and transcripts as a first reference point, which I then use to lead me to the original sources which hopefully match up (and usually do).

I hope that makes sense.

Ok time to check some more sources.

Matt

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 June 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
   The marriage of John and Susannah took place in Blean, St Cosmus and St Damian, on 10th Oct. 1759, the banns having been read in Blean and St Stephens (Hackington) on 16/9, 23/9 and 30/9. The original records can be seen on FindMyPast.

P.S. I wondered about the crossing out - I have just read your other post!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
   The marriage of John and Susannah took place in Blean, St Cosmus and St Damian, on 10th Oct. 1759, the banns having been read in Blean and St Stephens (Hackington) on 16/9, 23/9 and 30/9. The original records can be seen on FindMyPast.

P.S. I wondered about the crossing out - I have just read your other post!

Hi there

Yesterday evening I found copies of both of these records [the Banns and Marriage] in my files. However I appear to have two PR entries for the marriage which appear to be in different handwriting. I am assuming one is from the PR and one from the BTs or ATs but I will need to double check.

I think I may now have found John Noble's christening in Hackington but I need to do a little more research to be sure.

Susanna May is still proving elusive though. I have managed to find a Susanna May christened in Hackington who fits date wise, but so far I've not found any record of any Susanna Mays in Blean. Hackington and Blean are close so she could have moved from one parish to the other but I need to check Blean more before I come to any conclusions.

Matt