Author Topic: Do I really have to subscribe for ONE document?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do I really have to subscribe for ONE document?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome.  Good luck with the other elements of your research.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline GeraldineM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 June 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
I'm a little confused about my Grandfather's service in the First World War and can find absolutely nothing.  I think he was born in Donegal and on his marriage certificate (8th June 1918) it reads John McGeehan, Age 28, Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, No.18384 (Iron Moulder). 

However, his daughter gave my sister an MGC badge which she said was her father's.   Is it likely that he was in the Machine Gun Corps?

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 June 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
I'm a little confused about my Grandfather's service in the First World War and can find absolutely nothing.  I think he was born in Donegal and on his marriage certificate (8th June 1918) it reads John McGeehan, Age 28, Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, No.18384 (Iron Moulder). 

However, his daughter gave my sister an MGC badge which she said was her father's.   Is it likely that he was in the Machine Gun Corps?
There is a Medal Index Card Transcription for him on FindMyPast which indicates he served as a Private in both Royal Dublin Fusiliers ( service no 18384) and the Army Service Corps ( service no 160036).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 June 17 16:22 BST (UK) »

There is a Medal Index Card Transcription for him on FindMyPast which indicates he served as a Private in both Royal Dublin Fusiliers ( service no 18384) and the Army Service Corps ( service no 160036).
Isobel
The original medal card is on Ancestry and looking at that it would appear that the 160036 number is for the MGC. FindMyPast have mistranscribed it ( it could be taken as ASC at a pinch, though it is clear in the section showing the medals awarded).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 June 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Isobelw is absolutely right.  His medal roll entries for his 1914-1915 Star and his Victory and British War medals are both on the MGC rolls.

His medal roll entries also tell us he served overseas first with 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers joining them in France on 1 June 1915.  From the marriage cert he seems to have transferred fairly late in the war to the MGC as he was still RDF then.  He was discharged to the reserve on 13 Jun 1919.  His detailed service record does not seem to have survived.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline GeraldineM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 June 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, so much.   What would an Iron Moulder do in the MGC, or elsewhere for that matter?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 June 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
That was his civilian occupation.  A man who makes moulds in an iron works.  Lots on an earlier thread here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=50473.0

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline GeraldineM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 June 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you, again.