Author Topic: Just how close a relation am I? GEDmatch help  (Read 1953 times)

Offline garbfink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Just how close a relation am I? GEDmatch help
« on: Monday 19 June 17 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the whole DNA side of family research. So far my mother and I have both done a test with Ancestry in the hopes of finding out more about my Grandmother's history. We know very little about her history and there is a lot of confusing theory's about her.

She herself, did not truly know when her own birthday was or what her real name was. She went by the name of Florence May Trevena, but on occasion, she was also known as Dorothy Maud Grace Sollors, and on other occasions, she would just use a mixture of any of those names put together.

Anyway, after both receiving our DNA results we came up with a number of shared matches, although most of them were 4th cousins or distant there were a two or three which came up in the 2nd to 4th cousin range. I have contacted these closer cousins with little or no joy (I know that one has passed away)

I also loaded up my results into GEDmatch and after the batch had been processed I hit on a very strong match which is also shared with my mother. The individual in question loaded their DNA from 23&me.

the results are as follows.

Largest segment = 154.3 cM
Total of segments > 7 cM = 1,252.3 cM
26 matching segments
Estimated number of generations to MRCA = 1.8
427045 SNPs used for this comparison.

I have managed to rule out my mother's father's line which is well documented. My mother has an even stronger match with the individual in question.

I suppose that my question really is what kind of relation is this likely to be. It would be helpful in Ancestry had a similar set of stats so I could compare whether this individual is my closest relative on my matches or whether they fall in the 2nd / 3rd/ cousin batch.

Not being too familiar DNA yet I would be interested to hear any views.

If you'd like to have a look for yourself then please PM me and I'll message you my kit number
Carr - Yorkshire
Fulcher - Middlesex
Garbutt - Yorkshire
Kay - United States

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Just how close a relation am I? GEDmatch help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
I also loaded up my results into GEDmatch and after the batch had been processed I hit on a very strong match which is also shared with my mother. The individual in question loaded their DNA from 23&me.

the results are as follows.

Largest segment = 154.3 cM
Total of segments > 7 cM = 1,252.3 cM
26 matching segments
Estimated number of generations to MRCA = 1.8
427045 SNPs used for this comparison.

I know nothing about DNA comparison (still learning) but it may be an idea to add your mother's results too?

Just a thought.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
No need to put up details of your mother's kit.  From the information you've given I can see which is her.  You might want to consider deleting info about your kit to protect the identity of yourself and others.

I think they could be a half-sister to your mother and they share the same father.  On the one-to-one compare they are half match along the full length of some chromosomes.

Also they are a complete X-match with your mother.  Half sisters (and full sisters) receive the same X-chromosome from their father as he only has one.   But you don't think it's from your father's side.  It is also possible for sister to inherit the same X-chromosome from their mothers, but less common (but I have seen two cousins inherit the same X from their mothers who were sisters).

Have you considered uploading to FamilyTreeDNA as well?

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
Your match with them seems like a half aunt or uncle.  If your mother is matching them more than you around 1800-2000, sounds like your mother has a half sibling, possibly an aunt or uncle.  It seems rather high for you as a great aunt/uncle, but it has been known to happen.  Does anyone know what your grandmother was up to before having your mother?  Maybe she had a baby and gave it up for adoption?