Author Topic: Where is my Violet hiding in 1881?  (Read 934 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Where is my Violet hiding in 1881?
« on: Monday 19 June 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
William Henry Dunbavin was born in St. Croix in the Virgin Islands in 1842, but went to sea and married in the east end of London.

In 1871 he married Mary Holmes at Stepney, but the following year Mary and their newborn daughter Mary died.

In 1877 he married Mary Ann Horn at Clerkenwell. The couple had three children: William Rupert (1877-1879), Violet Nellie (1880-1916) and William George (1882-1903).

I have found Mary Ann, born Q4 of 1849, at Olney, Bucks, in 1851 (HO107/1723 fol637 p18), 1861 (RG9/874 fol52 p16) and at Hackney in 1871 (RG10/336 fol33 p62).

Mary Ann died in 1888 in West Ham district. In 1891 her two children are both "visitors" with Charles Elliott, cooper (RG12/285 fol32 p8), and they are both sent to school. Violet's admission states that she previously went to school in Rickmansworth, so the children were probably in the care of a charity.

In 1901, William George was at the Wesleyan Orphanage in Bethnal Green (RG13/296 fol174 p12). He died in 1903.

Which leaves Violet missing from a couple of events.

She should be with her mother Mary Ann in 1881. Her birth was 11 Feb 1880 according to the school admission. Her father was at sea on census night as a steward on the "Gainsborough". heading back from Australia, so he doesn't help the search.

I have not yet found her in 1901 or 1911. In the third quarter of 1911 she married Thomas Henry Roods, who had been a piano builder in a "Working Boys Home" at Chelsea in 1901 but is also unfound in 1911.

After Violet's death in 1916, Thomas Roods moved to Louth in Lincolnshire and married again (twice). He is still in the piano trade in 1939.

Can anybody find Violet Nellie Dunbavin in 1881 or 1901? It's possible that she had followed her father and gone to sea, but it is the 1881 census which is bugging me!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my Violet hiding in 1881?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Have you got a birth address for Violet?

I see the family's abode was Bow when she was baptised at St Mary, Stratford on 16 May 1880.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
A possible
1901 Violet Dunbavin aged 21 born Leytonstone a servant to the Ocallahan family in Leytonstone

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 June 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
The Manchester Workhouse Register has the following admission on 30 June 1882, Mary Jane Dunbavin, 24 and Violet Dunbavin, 4, both discharged 18 July 1882.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 June 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
A possible
1901 Violet Dunbavin aged 21 born Leytonstone a servant to the Ocallahan family in Leytonstone

Would think that would be her

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 June 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Try looking for for Violet Nellie Tunbasin in Finchley Middlesex England in the later census

Rosie

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 June 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
A possible

Try looking for for Violet Nellie Tunbasin in Finchley Middlesex England in the later census

Rosie

WELL DONE both !!!

I don't know how I managed to miss those!

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Completed: Where is my Violet hiding in 1881?
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Found her in 1881 !!!

You have to be very inventive on the searching when looking for people in my ONS. I decided that it was likely that Mary Ann would be with her widowed mother Judith Horn[e], who retired to Wanstead.

No appropriate Judiths born in Buckinghamshire, so I searched for just "Horn" and the right birth period. Up pops "Edith". With her lodging in Low Leyton (RG11/1727/13 fol61 p57) are Mary  and WILLIE DUNFARIN. Willie is down as male, but how exactly would Walter Goodman be supposed to know?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Glad you found her  :)