Author Topic: Define and restore photo of Mam Johnson  (Read 1071 times)

Offline SuzieGirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Define and restore photo of Mam Johnson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 July 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
Although I'm a little late in replying due to illness, thank you to everyone who did a restore for me I appreciate it very much and they all are great.  Suzie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Define and restore photo of Mam Johnson
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 July 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Notes added 20/6/2107:
- my apologies for my initial comments on 'resolution' below; they were based on wrong information from 'Windows'
- the scan resolution (300 dpi) is fine; 600 dpi would perhaps have been even better
- everyone so far has posted excellent restores so the file size was not really a problem
- I won't be so quick to jump to wrong conclusions in the future!

Mike

Can I just add that as most posters have very little concept of scanning resolution and how it affects the outcome, the advice has always been that for postcard sized photos, 300dpi and in colour mode is fine, for small photos 600dpi is preferable and for passport and locket size photos only would we request a scan at 1200dpi for the simple reason that the poster will often end up with a file too large to post and often struggle to reduce the file size to below 500dpi limit...they often reduce it by lowering the resolution rather than the physical size which ends up being counterproductive.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU