Author Topic: Gibbs - Hall Marriage  (Read 516 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gibbs - Hall Marriage
« on: Monday 19 June 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Just a quick question about the following marriage licence for my ancestor William Gibbes. The reference is found in Cowper and reads as follows :

"Gibbes, William, of Crundale, yeoman, ba, 30, and Elizabeth Hall of St Peter, Canterbury, spr, 26, d of [blank] Pierce alias Hall, s.p, w, who consents. At Crundale, or St Mary Bredin, Canterbury.  Valentine Austen of Wye, maltman, Bondsman, May 12, 1668"

My question is does this mean that Elizabeth's father had died and her mother had remarried a man named Pierce, who had also died by this date? Or was her mother a Pierce by birth who married someone named Hall who died before 1668?

How can I identify who Elizabeth's parents were? Should I look for a Hall/Pierce marriage?

I've identified several Halls in Wye in the early 1600s but none on Canterbury yet. I've also not located Elizabeth's christening.

Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbs - Hall Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

You posted a similar question the other day  ;)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773472.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gibbs - Hall Marriage
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

You posted a similar question the other day  ;)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773472.
[/quote

Hi

Thanks for that. I thought I had posted it however my pc has been playing up on the last few days and each time I've tried to post a message it doesn't appear to work. Yesterday when I tried to post a message nothing happened. When I did get the message posted, half of it appeared with lines through the writing.

Many thanks again :)

Matt