Author Topic: Aulay MacAulay of Lochbroom or Lochcarron.  (Read 919 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aulay MacAulay of Lochbroom or Lochcarron.
« on: Monday 19 June 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
I am looking to find out more information about my ancestor, Aulay MacAulay who I think was from Lochbroom in Ross.

He was the husband of Christy Sinclair, who according to the 1841 census was born about 1791 in the county of Ross. In 1841 she lived in Janetown, Lochcarron. She probably died between 1841 and 1851.

Aulay had at least two children that I know of:

Annabella MacAulay
Born: about 1811 at Lochcarron or Lochbroom.
Married: 1st Graham MacPherson (died 1831-1837) 2nd Donald McLean (born 1811)
Died: 1889 at Janetown, Lochcarron.
Census: 1841, 51, 61, 81 living at Lochcarron.

Alexander MacAulay
Born: about 1815 at Lochcarron or Lochbroom. Probably 26/04/1814 at Inverlael, Lochbroom.
Married: Matilda McLean (born 1815)
Died: Unknown.
Census: 1851 living at Evanton. 1861 living at Fodderty.

According to Annabella MacAulay's 1889 death record her father Aulay was an Innkeeper. I don't have any further information about him.

I know it's a bit of a long shot but I was hoping that someone may be able to provide further information about Aulay, particularly in light of his job as an innkeeper and his distinctive name.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).