Author Topic: Mystery - Where was my wife's grandfather in the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Davo59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery - Where was my wife's grandfather in the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Heywood thank you for your stating your reasons for considering the 1911 census.
On reflection it is possible this could be my Hugh Duffy which would explain why he was absent from the Irish census. I have also now rechecked the original copy of the census record and looked at the occupation code and birthplace code. Also there was one other piece of information which I missed completely the first time I looked and that was an entry under number of years married which was crossed out by the enumerator. This entry places his marriage within 2 years of his actual marriage.
So this is a definite possibility thank you.
1901 is proving to be more of a challenge.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Just wondering  ??? if the census was taken at lambing time Hugh as a shepherd was maybe out in the fields overnight.

The 1901 census was taken on 31st March 1901. The 1911 census was taken on 2 April 1911.
PS I know NOTHING about farming or lambing....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 June 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks David.
Unfortunately, as yet, there is nothing to prove it but there is much to consider that it is Hugh.

I have searched and searched but can't find him in 1901 yet.

Matthew O' Hagan is probably still at home in 1901 as Hagan. He marries later in Birkenhead and seems to have been quite successful in Cheltenham. That's of no consequence though.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davo59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 June 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Josie - yes that is a possibility though I see the enumerator was a constable (RIC?) and presumably being from Omeath which is a small village with a surrounding farming area would have questioned why Hugh was not on the census or would have known that he was not present on the night. However a possibility.
Yes Heywood The O'Hagen / Hagen connection has got me intrigued. It could well be that Hugh may have been fisherman on the night of the 1901 census. I see there is a Form B3: Shipping return. This could be a challenge in itself as the The National Archives of Ireland website states
 "In many cases the names of occupants are only given in initial form, ie Mary Smith is entered as M.S. These names are indexed by initial, and hopefully the information in the form itself (county of birth, occupation, marital status) will help to identify the person sought."   
So will also explore this avenue of searching by initials in both the Irish and English census.
However without the discussion in this forum I would never have reached these continuing avenues to explore. Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 June 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
I did search in both 1901 and 1911 Irish census for Hugh Duffy under his initials, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!