Author Topic: My elusive great grandfather John Dash  (Read 8809 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My elusive great grandfather John Dash
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 24 June 17 07:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue,

I am not 100% satisfied that we have found John Dash as I could not see his name as it does not appear that the Platina had a passenger list so there is not proof and that was only from Hobart Town to Geelong.  So when did he leave England?

Thanks,
Pat Backman

Dear Cando,

I knew JohnDash was number 174 on the Platina from Hobart Town to Geelong but when I was able to see the list of passengers his name was not there.

Thanks,
Pat Backman

Dear Pat
Unfortunately Cando who kindly found the entry for you, is not online at the moment.

I think you should know she is a highly respected researcher with a wealth of privately held family history resources which she uses to assist those such as yourself.

I would be very surprise if she was in error about this finding.

The fact that you cannot "see  it" is not quite relevant, as her source is not the same as the one you have explored.

No-one  at these stage, can confirm the man Cando has located is yours.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patricia backman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 24 June 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue,

I appreciate all the help I have been given and realize every one there must be very knowledgeable and I am not doubting that at all.  I just naturally thought with the research that one had to see the actual name or names on shipping lists to make sure it was correct.

Apparently I have been wrong for 18 months looking for shipping lists of everyone who came into Australia at that period.  I was told that when I went to a research place in Melbourne. I was also told that if their names were not listed they could not have arrived as thought. Apparently that is not correct.

Many thanks,
Pat Backman

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 24 June 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
Pat, this has been an interesting search but the arrival of your John DASH seems to elude all of us. 

It's not unusual to find no record of an arrival into Australia in the 19th century.  Often shipping lists are not available, having been lost or destroyed.  Those who came on an assisted passage may be well recorded but those who paid their own fares are not.  There was no requirement for passenger lists for unassisted immigrants to record anything except their names so quite often there isn't even a forename just, for example, Mr J Smith.  Inter-colony shipping lists are often not very reliable, and people moved from colony to colony on foot or by horse etc and were not required to inform any authorities.

Different colonies had different record-keeping, some better than others!

Of course there were no passports either so you could use any name you liked, and give your own details so they may not be reliable at all.  For example immigrants may give the wrong age so as to be accepted by an immigration scheme.  Then there are mis-transcriptions, etc etc

So it's quite possible to come to Australia and the documentation not be available.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 24 June 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue,

I was told that when I went to a research place in Melbourne. I was also told that if their names were not listed they could not have arrived as thought. Apparently that is not correct.

Many thanks,
Pat Backman

Perhaps the people at the research place do not have this as a source

You'll never find listed ancestors if you do not know where to look.

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~jwilliams4/geelong2.htm

Sue

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 24 June 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
The Platina sailed from TAS beginning October 1845, 5th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article2947286

It had arrived in TAS - having Gravesend,London - Sept 5, 3rd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8757179

So, we know when John arrived on the mainland, but don't know when he arrived in TAS?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 24 June 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
The Platina sailed from TAS beginning October 1845, 5th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article2947286

It had arrived in TAS - having Gravesend,London - Sept 5, 3rd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8757179

So, we know when John arrived on the mainland, but don't know when he arrived in TAS?

Jamjar

When I look at
 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8757179
The arrival in Tasmania-
I am not seeing a reference to passengers other than a very small number, with the note being about large cargo from England.
Is there another item that mentions passengers other than the very few in the above item?
EDIT, MEANING. Did he come from England on that ship (unlisted) and move straight on to mainland OR As a resident of Tasmania, did he  elect for the immigration scheme?

Sue

Offline patricia backman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 24 June 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue, Cando, Judith, Jamjar,

Would like to thank you sincerely for all the help you have given me this week or so and it is greatly appeciated. I agree he has been so elusive but at least we know when he arrived in Victoria.

Thanks,
Pat Backman

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 25 June 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
 I am happy to have helped.

However, I do wonder if you have thoroughly read the link I have offered in reply #57.

If so, you will be aware there is a possibility of finding more information about the John DASH listed from Tas to Victoria from the author of the site.  An email address.

Sue

Offline patricia backman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 25 June 17 05:02 BST (UK) »
Sparratt,

Yes I did go into that link and found John Dash's name of the list.  I do plan to write to her in the next few days.  Very good news.

Thankyou,
Pat Backman