Author Topic: Question about Missouri death certificates  (Read 1235 times)

Offline inor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Question about Missouri death certificates
« on: Tuesday 20 June 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
I am wondering what, exactly, the number 2 means in item #6 (marital status) on this death certificate.  Does it indicate that Caroline was married twice? 
Many thanks for any help.

inor

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Missouri death certificates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Using the following site, I checked Smith (just to pick a surname) deaths for August 1944.  Looking at a number of certificates for deaths from that month, most had penciled-in numerals in several places on the pages, similar to your image.  Perhaps it was coding used for another type of record?  However, I found a death of a 14 year old and "Single" was typed with "0" written in the same place that your 2 was written.
http://s1.sos.mo.gov/records/Archives/ArchivesMvc/DeathCertificates

I just found an infant's record and he also is shown as Single and 0 written in.   :-\   Also, an older gentleman who died at age 74 is shown as Single and 0.

Perhaps if you contact the St. Louis Library, their reference staff may be able to answer your question?
https://www.slpl.org/ask-a-librarian/
Note:  Most U.S. libraries do not require a fee for "simple" questions.  If lookups are requested, some libraries do charge a fee.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline inor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 04:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much.  I'll follow your suggestions.

inor

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 05:19 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  I hope you are able to get an answer.

Also, another RootsChatter may have an answer for you.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline inor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
 I emailed my question to the Missouri State Archives.  The reply I received was:
"The number 2 next to her marital status just means that she is widowed, without respect to how many times she was married. The code may have changed over the years, but at least in 1944 in St. Louis City, a 0 next to the marital status was single, a 1 was married, 2 was widowed and 3 was divorced."

inor  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 June 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
It's not what I would have expected.

You received a quick reply from the archives.  :)

Thank you for letting us know the outcome, inor.   :)