Author Topic: Jane MacDonald b.1865 Inverness  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane MacDonald b.1865 Inverness
« on: Tuesday 20 June 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

My g-g-grandmother Jane MacDonald's birth record from Urquhart and Logie Wester (R&C) states she was born in Inverness in 1865. Her father, Alexander MacDonald, was from Kinkell, which is where her birth was registered and she is found on the 1871 Census. Her mother, also Jane MacDonald, was supposedly from Inverness, and that's why I guess Jane was born there.
I am having great trouble trying to read the word above Inverness on the birth record. I wonder if anyone on here can make it out? Also, the vertical writing on the left mentions Inverness, but I'm unsure what it says. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alasdair

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane MacDonald b.1865 Inverness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
The writing at the side maybe parents both in Inverness ?  Not sure of the word above Inverness try contacting Scotland's People to see if they can help ..What was the address in 1871 could be the name of farm ?

Rosie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Possibly Kilmallie? albeit spelling as Kil
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]l[/color][/b]mallie[/color]

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
And welcome to Rootschat Alasdair  :) :)

Rosie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
The vertical wording looks like 'Part of South Inverness'?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
Was Jane married after 1861 i.e. still at home?

Maybe a look at where Jane Sr's parents were in 1861 may give a clue?

Sometimes women went home to have their 1st child.

Annie

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 02:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your responses Annie and Rosie.

Both ideas for the words down the side seem plausible. I'm unsure which is right yet!
Kilmallie is an interesting suggestion. There's a place called that in Fort William, but the closest I can see to that in Inverness is Kinmylies. I'll keep an open mind on that for now.
I'll try contacting Scotland's People too.

The address they all lived at in 1871 was a small croft 14 Kinkell District, Urquhart&LW, Ross and Cromarty.
Jane appears to have been born in the Parish of Inverness, Inverness-shire. So those places are unconnected. She also had a younger sister Anne born in Inverness in 1867. I will check her birth record soon to see if it gives any clues.

1871 Census...
Alexander MACDONALD   Head   40   Urquhart, County of Ross
Jane MACDONALD   Wife   29   County of Inverness
Jane MACDONALD   Daughter 6   County of Inverness
Anne MACDONALD   Daughter 4   County of Inverness

Regarding Jane Snr's parents... According to young Jane's birth record, Alexander and Jane Snr got married on 31 Dec 1863 in Inverness. I found an Alexander and 'Jean' McDonald who got married on that date in Inverness. If it's them, then Alexander has a different mother from who I previously believed. It's making me sceptical, and I'm a bit tentative to start following Jean's family in case she's not Jane Snr. The usual residence on that marriage certificate for both of them is Clachnaharry in Inverness.
What's making it even more of a challenge is I am struggling to find deaths of any of those 3 ancestors I mentioned. I can say with certainty they were all still living in 1911 though.
Jane married a Walter Chisholm in Inverness, a number of years after giving birth to my illegitimate g-grandfather Alexander MacDonald. Old Alexander and Jane Snr raised young Alexander on the croft in Newton Kinkell, U&LW, and were still living together there in the 1911 Census. He married a Jamesina Cameron in 1920, and apparently his mother Jane was deceased by then.

Establishing Jane's birthplace in Inverness, and matching it to her mother Jane Snr's family home, could go a long way to confirming where both these paternal and maternal MacDonald's originated.

Apologies for the long reply! Seems to help make sense of it all by writing it out.
Thanks again!
Alasdair

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Jean and Jane are interchangeable in Scotland.

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Yes J11, you're right. Jane, Jean, Janet, and Jessie all seem to be interchangeable in Scotland, making research that little bit harder! I looked up the OPR Birth of the Jean MacDonald from the marriage cert. and she is recorded as Jane MacDonald. Birthplace Clachnaharry in Inverness, 1842. So no issue there. Interestingly her father was a ship carpenter.

My worry is that her husband's age is 5 years younger than what the Alexander I'm looking for gave on any Census after marriage, and his mother is a (deceased) Margaret MacDonald, when I was certain it was a Jane Fraser from Kiltarlity. Finding his death certificate will hopefully clear things up. There's just so many Alexander MacDonald's in the area!

I also had a look at Jane's sister Annie's birth from 1867, and she is just given as born in Wester Kinkell in Urquhart and Logie Wester. Where they were living in the 1871 Census.

If the word I was looking to identify can either be traced to Clachnaharry, or shipbuilding in Inverness, then I'm fairly confident the Alexander and Jean marriage is their parents. 'Parents both in Inverness' would make sense too.

Cheers for the help. Will update on any other finds.
Alasdair