Author Topic: Jane MacDonald b.1865 Inverness  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Jane MacDonald b.1865 Inverness
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 25 June 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Sounds plausible.  If he is the John Macdonald who married Jean Grigor, he seems to have died between 1841 and 1851. Really need a monumental inscription for Jean Grigor!

Agree J11 & would help to confirm things!

I don't want to sound negative after all the combined effort but there is the missing piece...if only  ???

If no MI for Jean then DNA may be the answer  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 25 June 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Alasdair,

I managed to get a look at the doc....I thought I was looking for an image of a Headstone  ::)

Anyway, having observed previous & later entries I am able to associate the lettering system.....

d = died     a = age     w = wife     wid = widow     chn = children?    FS = Family Stone?

Missing/illegible wording is marked ?

In this case there's no ? adjacent to John's details which would imply it has never been filled in?

To add to that 'w' is used for Isobel not 'wid'!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 25 June 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie! I tried to have a peak at that John McDonald in Petty just in case. Still trying to interpret what it says, and if it's relevant.

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 26 June 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
The entry for John McDonald in Petty just says '3rd of Apr John McDonald kirk officer at salt water mill aged 79 was buried'.
Nothing there to suggest it is him. Will just have to keep thinking and searching around for now. Hopefully something will crop up to help confirm either way.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 26 June 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
Petty is the wrong side of Inverness and John Macdonald (as I'm sure you've noticed!) is not an uncommon name in the area.  You need Ghostwhisperer who used to be on this site.  I've not seen her for a while but she was a whizz with gravestones.

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 31 August 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Alasdair, any connection to the Abriachan MacDonalds? Some of them lived around Kiltarlity/Kirkhill direction and they were supposed to be Of the Glencoe clan!

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 02 September 17 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi anabanana,
I've not found any connection to Abriachan so far. I have various MacDonald lines, and hit a lot of brick wall's. I'll explain a few and try to keep it short.

My granda's father had a grandfather named Alexander MacDonald, and my granda's mother had a grandfather named James MacDonald. I believe these two were brothers, making my granda's parents 2nd-cousins!

Alexander MACDONALD   Head   b. Abt.1805 Parish Of Urquhart, R&C
Jane FRASER   Wife   b. Abt.1805 possibly Ardronich/Ardrannich, Kiltarlity (Glen Covinth near-ish Abriachan)
Janet MACDONALD   Daur   b. Abt. 1826 Parish Of Urquhart, R&C or Kiltarlity
James MACDONALD   Son   b. 28 Oct 1828 Balchraggan, Kiltarlity
Alexander MACDONALD   Son   b. 15 Apr 1831 Bishop Kinkell, Urquhart, R&C

The death of the father at Kinkell Castle (interestingly) in 1877, gives his father as Alexander MacDonald also, but no mother's name was known. That's as far back as those MacDonald's have gone, but the Alexander MacDonald b. 1831 married Jane MacDonald, the ship carpenter's daughter from Clachnaharry.

As already discussed here Jane's parents were...

James MACDONALD b. 20 Sep 1816 Clachnaharry - Ships Carpenter
and
Ann MacKay b. 15 Oct 1814 Dochgarroch (again, not far from Abriachan!)

At the time of Ann's birth, her father Donald was a blacksmith in Clachnaharry, while her mother was named Hannah MacDonald. They are given in the 1851 Census as living in Ardendrain, Kiltarlity. Both their birthplace's are given as the parish of Fort Augustus. I haven't found anymore on Hannah's line.

James's father was John MacDonald, a ship's carpenter from Clachnaharry, and Jean Grigor/MacGregor. John is most probably the one buried at Kirkton Of Bunchrew, but I can't get that all important confirmation that I could then follow back to Glencoe. I went to visit the burial ground, it's lovely but the MacDonald graves had turf grown over them, and the writing is now barely legible. So that's another brick wall.

On my mother's side of the family, I've also found MacDonald's, but they were in Sleat and Strath on Skye. I visited the Clan Donald archive there briefly, and found a direct line to the chiefs of the Sleat MacDonald's (17th Century). What I found more interesting though, is my MacDonald's from Strath are supposed to be descended from Glencoe MacDonald's who escaped the massacre, and ended up on the Shiant Islands, before Skye. Skye seems to have a distinct lack of OPR's to help researching this.

So I haven't yet found a direct connection to Abriachan MacDonald's or Glencoe, but I get the impression most of my MacDonald's living around the Inverness/Kiltarlity/Conon area in the early 1800's, probably migrated up the great glen in the previous decades. That's purely speculation for now.