Author Topic: Abby/Ebbi James Peoples - Sarah Patton - Married 05.12.1862 Ramelton  (Read 2697 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abby/Ebbi James Peoples - Sarah Patton - Married 05.12.1862 Ramelton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
on Sarah's death cert there seems to be some doubt about her marital status
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05281/4466891.pdf

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
/
/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline MMcD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for the input, there was talk about him and his wife moving to the USA, but it certainly appears she did not.

It appears that Ebbi/Abby went to the USA pre 1875.  This does add up as he has been hard to track down.

The name Edward Peoples is totally new!  I now have him as Abraham, James, Ebbi, Ebi, Aby, Abbey and Edward!  On Samuels birth register in Scotland, his surname is "Peebles", all makes him hard to track down.

They were married presbyterian and appear to have converted.

On the 1901 census, Sarah reports as married and then as widowed in 1911?  I wonder if this is the time gap where he died?  I had originally thought that the 1901 census was not accurate or she reported married even though he was dead.  Very interesting.

As for the Thomas Peoples and Jane Kidd marriage, I found a reference to it on a Scottish thread:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=277480.18

Going to make contact on that also, but she states there that Ebbi is deceased at that time.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline MMcD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dathi,

This is really good stuff, thank you very much!  Peebles makes an appearance once again!

Not sure where Thomas and Janet married but will keep looking.

It looks like Catherine died in 1905, around 6 weeks after giving birth to her final child, looks like the child (Mary Murray) died 3 days after birth.  This would explain the "One of six childen deceased" in Sarahs 1911 census record.

Will follow the Peebles thing again maybe in the USA for Abby.

Thanks again for this, its great!

Offline MMcD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 June 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hallmark, sorry I missed your earlier remark.

On Abby and Sarahs wedding record, they were Presbyterian, somewhere along the line there was a change or confusion. Some of the children also list this on their marriage certificates, maybe they changed back!

It does appear that Abby moved to the USA pre 1875.  I have searched through some passenger lists but found nothing.  I am pretty amateur at this by the way. 

On the other forum, someone has pointed out a possible birth record for him,  I am waiting to hear back from them, not overly confident as they haven't been active in a while.

I don't have marriage certificate for Thomas and Jane Kidd either but found some ancestors of theirs on ancestry.ie, just funny on their kids birth/marriage records, it lists him as being born in Scotland.  However, the user who has seen the marriage record states that Abby is listed as the father and is deceased.