Author Topic: James Anderson, Chief of Police, Vancouver 1920-1924  (Read 2516 times)

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Anderson, Chief of Police, Vancouver 1920-1924
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 June 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks bbart. It was an interesting read... times haven't changed really, what with promises of funding etc
The marriage arrangements leave food for thought, I think.
I was reasonably successful with the Scottish research and had hit some brick walls for a moment when searching in US and Canada, so am very pleased that I can put a little story to this family now. I know my friend will be very pleased.
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 June 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Haven't been to the VPL yet but did some looking through their online Vancouver City Directories. The directories are not always consistent but it gives you a sense of James and Orpha's timeline in Vancouver.  Interesting to note that Orpha is listed as a widow after 1935. Hard to say where James was living after 1933 as there are too many James Anderson retired to choose between.

1901, 1902 - not listed in City Directory.

1903 - Anderson, James, patrolman, h 228 9th ave. E.

.....1905......Anderson, Jas., policeman h 844 Dunlevy Ave.

......1910......Anderson, James city detective h 892 Granville.

1923 - Anderson, James chf constable City h 28 W 10th.

1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928 - Anderson, Jas police insp City h 28 W 10.

1929 - Anderson, Mrs. Orpha A h 28 W 10

1930, 1931 - Anderson, Jas retired h 865 W 10.

1932 - Anderson, Mrs. Orpha h 865 W 10.

1933, 1934 - unclear where they were living.

1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940 - Anderson, Orpha A wid J h 865 W 10.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 June 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
I have a bunch of articles on him, including one with picture.
If you want to send me a private message we can swap emails and I can see if they can be emailed.
Otherwise, I live in Vancouver, and could print em and hand them off when you are here.

Greg
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 June 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
PeeCeeBee, do you need any info on James Anderson's brother William, who also lived in BC and was a policeman?  I followed William's daughter and finally found concrete proof that they are brothers, but I don't want to post it all if you already have it.

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 June 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
Many, many thanks for the detail sami.
I have pmd Greg and bbart with my email.
I was unaware that William also went to Canada, so happy to have the detail and my friend will be very impressed!
Cheers
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 June 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that I emailed the Police Museum and the Archives. The Archives have replied promptly and pointed me where I have already been, (and the RootsChat community have sent me!) and to the Museum. I have still to hear from the Museum... but I only emailed yesterday. Perhaps when I have finished I should send my filed to them!!!
Cheers
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 June 17 05:22 BST (UK) »
I went and got a copy of James' death to see if anything more could be gleaned.  The most important gain was his address at time of death: 1158 W. Hastings, Vancouver.  Maybe Sami remembers seeing that address in that huge directory search (which really pays off for newly found brother William, stay tuned! Well done Sami!)

The doctor wrote:
This man fell down the front steps of the Commercial Hotel and hit his head on the pavement.

He must have fell hard, as I can only see one or two steps:
https://changingvancouver.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/340-cambie-street/

He fell on 25 Dec 1940, and died on the 27th.  Perhaps he was there for a Christmas celebration.

Wife Mrs. O.A. Anderson, informant is living at 865 West 10th. She stated he was in the municipality for 38 years, in province 38 years, and in Canada for 50 years.

I had no luck finding a will for James.  Some wills, (and I can't remember why even though it was once explained to me) are only available in the provincial archives in Victoria, and there was a few James' in the index that fell into that category).  I did find the will for Orpha, in which she left everything to be split evenly between her son, Robert Enslow Stevenson, Hotel Sutter, 14th and Jefferson, Oakland, California USA, and her brother Preston Brooks Smith of 725 West St, Reno, Nevada USA.  If one died, the other got all.  Sad she left nothing to James' niece, Bernice.
The executor for the will was a neighbour, Joseph Douglas Inkster, of 855 West 10th Ave, Vancouver.

Moving onto the brother William Alexander Anderson, I'll try to keep it brief!

William's marriage 01 Feb 1898 to Emma Catherine (nee McIntosh), both widowed:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6M8V-6H?i=443&cc=1307718

They had a child, Bernice 07 Jun 1899 in Victoria (later she was using a middle name of Emma) (note although on his marriage reg. he put he was born in Banffshire, he now puts Aberdeen.  I looked up all his siblings on the Scotland censuses, and some were Banff, and some were Aberdeen, and google tells me that Banffshire and Aberdeenshire somewhat merged way back when)
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/04ecd71d-16be-496b-9a9f-fbfb73382429

In 1901, they were up in Atlin (think gold rush!) William is a hotelkeeper making money off all the folks thinking they are gonna make it rich!

Unfortunately, in 1911 William got TB, came back to Victoria, and died with 6 months:
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/22875aae-3a5c-43b9-b8b4-e503873b2c9d
His grave: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=117735994

In the 1911 census, Emma and Bernice are still up north, in the Yukon, in Dawson. William is not with them, but presumably he has headed back to Victoria at this point as he died in Oct.

Emma remarries again, to Richard Thomson.
She dies 28 Jul 1920 in Victoria. Her obit is at:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G99W-XPZ2?i=1401&cc=2001136
Seeings she was in an isolation hospital, it's safe to assume TB got her to, as it was rampant back then.

Bernice goes on to become a registered nurse, and makes many trips to California before moving there, and becoming a citizen. There is an absolute ton of documents to follow her. She gets her citizenship for California in 1940, which has her picture. In 1943 she signs up for the army. She never married (although I saw a tree that states she did have a son.... still checking on that). She died in California on 02 Apr 1986.

What ties the fact that her father, William Alexander, is actually a brother to James, is on at least one of her many trips across the border to go to California, one being 21 Jun 1929, she listed her Canadian contact as Uncle James Anderson, 28 West 10th Ave, Vancouver.  This was the first year (from Sami's research) that the directory only listed Orpha at that address, so perhaps this is the year the marriage fell apart. At any rate, it shows James and William Alexander are brothers.

I think this enough to post for now, before it becomes overwhelming!

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 June 17 05:43 BST (UK) »
Many, many, many thanks... this is really interesting. I had done some researching on An... and have found some documents. Came across the marriage of Bernice and the child has another name, so think he must have been adopted... will send an enquiry to the person who has the tree to see if they know anything more, just for curiosity really. The father died the same year the child was born, so perhaps that made Bernice's decision what it appears to be. I will now follow up all the links you have given. Regards, PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 June 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
..........The most important gain was his address at time of death: 1158 W. Hastings, Vancouver. 

Just a short note to add to this. Looking the City Directories by the Street Name index I checked a number of years. The address - 1158 W. Hastings - was not listed but there was an address for 1152 W. Hastings which was the location for the Lovatt House Apartments. It's likely where he was living at the time of his death.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley