Author Topic: James Anderson, Chief of Police, Vancouver 1920-1924  (Read 2518 times)

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Anderson, Chief of Police, Vancouver 1920-1924
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 June 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks sami. All the little details add to the story. I have sent a message to the person who has Bernice Anderson on their tree with a child to see if they are willing to share the story. Still waiting to hear from the Police Museum, but with yours and bbart I have been able to add to the dates I had already found...
Cheers
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 June 17 00:46 BST (UK) »
Just a little tidbit on the far north hotels the Andersons were involved in (from site:
http://www.yukonalaska.com/pathfinder/gen/rhse_ownersAC.html )

Anderson, William A.: Klondike Hotel, Bennett (1899)
          : Vendome Hotel, Bennett (1901)
          : Yukon Hotel, Bennett (1901)
          : Anderson Hotel, Carcross (1901-1903)
          : Gold Pan Inn/Balmoral Hotel, Discovery (1903-1904)
          : Dawson City/Celtic Hotel, Dawson (1905)
          : Lakeview Hotel, Wynton,BC (1906-1907)
Anderson, Emma Catherine (Mrs. W.A.): Vancouver House, Dawson (1907)

Also of interest: http://register.yukonhistoricplaces.ca/PlaceDetail/775/12952

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 June 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much... the websites you have directed me to are very distracting... and I am enjoying the journey. I will be interested to hear just where my friend will be travelling and whether he will make some changes to his itinerary!!! I know that I would... I have compiled all the info for him and have continued on An... to put the tree together.
Cheers
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 June 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
It is distracting, but in a fun way! It brings the ancestors back to life in a way.

Just tossing one more link of one of their hotels, as it shows how rugged the country is up there, and mentions that William was called "Big Bill".
http://www.yukon-news.com/letters-opinions/tales-of-windy-arm

I can't see Emma and daughter staying there; maybe that's why she got her own hotel in Dawson!

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 June 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
Couldn't find an obituary notice for James or Orpha in either the Vancouver Sun or Vancouver Province newspapers. The Vancouver Province carried a small piece on James on December 28, 1940. You probably have this information already but I copied it just in case:

"DEATH CLAIMS FORMER CHIEF

James Anderson, former Chief Constable of Vancouver, and one of the best known law enforcement officers in the province, died in General Hospital at 8:45 p.m. Friday.

Death resulted from injuries received in a fall on a downtown street on Wednesday.

Anderson was Chief Constable in 1921 and was retired in 1929, at which time he held the rank of Inspector.

The late officer's career was a varied one. Born in Banffshire, Scotland, in 1867 he went to the United States in 1889 and worked at this trade as a stonecutter for some years. Later, reaching Victoria, he worked on the construction of the Parliament Buildings, and it was while there he came under the notice of the Governor-General Lord Aberdeen. Hearing of his prowess as a piper, the Governor-General offered Mr. Anderson the post of staff-sergeant and piper in his retinue.

After occupying that post for some years he joined a theatrical company, later coming to Vancouver. An excursion to the Yukon followed, but he remained there only a brief period, coming back to Vancouver. He joined the police force as a patrolman on March 1, 1903, under the chieftainship of Chief Samuel North.

BECAME DETECTIVE

Two years later he was appointed to the detective staff, and in company with other members of the plain clothes force, was instrumental in bringing to book numbers of criminals who had come to Vancouver with the idea of plying their trade here.

In 1908 the criminal records department was founded and Inspector Anderson was placed in charge. A close student of the Bertillon system of finger-printing, he built up a bureau of identification which is considered today one of the most complete records on the Pacific Coast.

His meritorious work placed him in line for yet higher promotion and in 1920 he succeeded Chief W. McRae as Chief of Police, a post which he retained until January, 1924. He was then retired back to the identification bureau as Inspector, being followed as Chief by H.W. Long."

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley