Author Topic: James Norman, Chippendale, 1846  (Read 2792 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Norman, Chippendale, 1846
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 June 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the daughter of James & Bridget died young - there is a burial record in Sydney in 1846 on the NSW BDM index of a Mary Norman, infant. I'll have to check that one out on microfilm.

NSW BDM online index has that as Volume 115, line 650.  I am sure that Vol 115 is for Roman Catholic burials.   

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856

ADD
three children for James and Bridget as per cutting April 1846, plus a directive from the police for the couple to marry as both have a duty to support their offspring.   

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12886253

The Sydney Morning Herald  1 April 1846.  Page 2.

Police Court Business
…..
James Norman, at the instance of Bridget Sheppard, for deserting his illegitimate child, having satisfied the Court that he was already supporting two infants by the same mother, the bench advised complainant and defendant to get married to each other, and dismissed the case on the ground that it is as much the duty of the mother as of the father to support their offspring…

So you are looking for a likely RC marriage after 1 April 1846.   You may well find that not all of the RC clergy registers may have been readily available for the AJCP or the SAG projects back in the 1930s and 1940s.   There were RC registers from the 1830s and 1840s that were not available to the NSW Supreme Court Registrar when it was that Registrar's responsibility to establish/maintain a registrar of bdms.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 June 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Cheers JM. I actually suspect that James & Bridget never did marry as there is a burial in 1853 of a Bridget Sheppherd aged 40 in Sydney (NSW BDM 863/1853 V1853863 119).

In the meantime I've received the death certificate of the James Norman who died in 1867 and the details are as follows:

Died 17 August 1867 at the Liverpool Asylum
Sawyer, male, 66, died of paralysis
Medical attendant Jas. Smith, surgeon
Unknown parents
Informant Thomas Burnside, Master of Asylum, Liverpool, registered 2 September 1867, Liverpool
Buried 17 August 1867 Liverpool
Undertaker John Whale, Liverpool
Minister P Healy, Church of Rome
Born Ireland
Came to colony per ship "England" 1826
Marriage/children details unknown

I strongly suspect that this is the right James Norman as the occupation matches and I've eliminated all the other "James Norman" death records on the NSW BDM index up to 1920.

I'm now going to do some searching re this James Norman.

Also, some kind soul sent me a burial record for James Norman junior in 1903 (death registered at Macksville) and it says his birthplace was Botany and his parents were James Norman & Bridget Sheppard.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 June 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Very interestingly, there is a ticket of leave for the James Norman who came on the England in 1826 which is dated 30 June 1829 and has a note at the bottom "granted in consideration of his good conduct while employed on a tour of discovery under Captain Sturt".

A newspaper report of his trial back in England (Bell's Life in London and Sporting Chronicle 19 March 1826) says, in part, "Union Hall - Daring Robbery - A very desperate fellow, named James Williams alias Norman, who has been an inmate of most of the prisons of the metropolis, and against whom sentence of death was recorded at a late Surrey Assizes, which was afterwards commuted into imprisonment, was brought up to this office on a charge of having broken into the house of a lady named Bradberry, residing in East-street, Walcot-place, Lambeth."

He stole the entire contents of her parlour it appears, furniture included! I found an English criminal record with a sentence of death recorded against a James Norman for the Lent Assizes of Surrey in 1826, so he must have received the death penalty at his trial and had it commuted to transportation.

Edit: this biographical sketch of Charles Sturt mentions what must presumably have been the "tour of discovery" for which James got his ticket of leave - an expedition that discovered (for Europeans) the Darling River leaving in 1828: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/sturt-charles-2712