Author Topic: Apprentices Indentured in the Merchant Navy, 1824 - 1910  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Apprentices Indentured in the Merchant Navy, 1824 - 1910
« on: Wednesday 21 June 17 11:11 BST (UK) »

I've been trying to find some trace of my late Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) for many years now. I'm unable to find him anywhere prior to his Marriage to my Grandmother Margaret Rees, in Swansea in June 1893. On both the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Swansea he gives his POB as 'Manchester, Lancs'. As 5 of his 6 sons spent time in The Merchant Navy, I have tried looking for any trace of him there before 1893.

I've found this record on Ancestry:
William Wilson
 in the UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910
•   
Name:   William Wilson
Birth Year:   abt 1861
Birth Place:   Manchester
Registration or Indenture Date:   24 Aug 1876
Port of Registry:   Liverpool.

He seems to have been indentured to the 'Araby Maid' for 2 voyages. However, I can't find any trace of the 'Araby Maid', - and this seems to be the only entry for this man.

I wondered if anyone on here with more knowledge of Merchant Naval Records than I have, might be able to find anything more?

Cheers, Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices Indentured in the Merchant Navy, 1824 - 1910
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
Not an easy one Romilly. I guess you have this but-------
The only vessel that is in contention is the Leith registered ARABY MAID O/N 62272. She was owned, from her launch in 1868 till being sold to Norwegian interests in 1893, first by William Thornton then by William Thompson both of Leith. The Port of Registry referred to in the Ancestry document is the port where the indenture was registered, not the port of registry of the vessel.
She did trade out of Liverpool in the years 1876/77. Sailed Liverpool February 4 for Rangoon. Returned 22 July ( At Falmouth for orders). Sailed Liverpool for Calcutta Sept 27. Returned Dec/20/1876. She made at least one trip to Rangoon in early 1877
So simply find her crew agreements for the years 1876/77 and prove or disprove if you ancestor was on board.
Big problem. Looked in all the usual place's. Only found C/A for 1882. That said I doubt weather the C/A will give a real connection. Entries of Apprentice's did not rate the same sort of information as say an ordinary seaman. What you need is a copy of the original indenture.  Only one in five have survived.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices Indentured in the Merchant Navy, 1824 - 1910
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 22:58 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for the info Seaweed, - much appreciated. (If anyone would know, - it would be you).

My elusive Grandfather obviously doesn't want to be found... I've tried everything that I can think of, but he continues to elude me:-(

Having said that, - my gut feeling is that he did spend time in The Merchant Navy, - it's just that the records haven't survived...

I shall just have to admit defeat I think:-(

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.