Author Topic: Thomas and Joseph Soper 1638-1657 Massachusetts  (Read 520 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Thomas and Joseph Soper 1638-1657 Massachusetts
« on: Wednesday 21 June 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I am writing a biography on Warren Young Soper ( of Ottawa, Canada) and have traced his male line ancestors to Thomas Soper (b England 1589 d Massachusetts 1657), spouse Mary (1586-1618),and son Joseph (b 1638 England d Boston Massachusetts 1678).

Joseph married Elizabeth Alcock/Allcock (bt 10 October 1837), daughter of an early Massachusetts pioneer, on March 6 1656 in Boston.

I surmise that Thomas had lost his wife Mary, possibly to child birth complications in England ( there being only one child, Joseph) and had immigrated with his son to the Massachusetts Colony between 1638 and 1657. This would have been in the second wave of colonists.

I have consulted all documentation on the first wave to 1630 and could not find them; nor did I expect to do so given Joseph's birth date and location in England, unless Thomas went out ahead of his son.

Mary could not have died on the voyage as her death date preceeds any colonisation of Massachussetts.

I am, therefore, looking for Thomas' and Joseph's records in  ship's passenger lists and any other information on Thomas and Mary.

I have subsequent records for Joeseph and Elizabeth, except I would like to know more about Joseph as a possible captain in a militia or the Rangers.

Rootschatters have always come through in my past research!

I am very grateful for this and for any help I can get in this endeavour.

Best Canadian sesquicentennial wishes!      LJ
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex