Author Topic: Brookwood Cemetery, reburials from Christchurch, Blackfriars Road.  (Read 1641 times)

Offline PaulOTP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brookwood Cemetery, reburials from Christchurch, Blackfriars Road.
« on: Thursday 22 June 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have something of a mystery involving the burial of my gt. gt. gt. grandfather, John Davey.  According to his death certificate he died on 11th September 1846, aged 45 at Broadwall in the parish of Christchurch, Surrey.  Unfortunately the burial records for that parish and at that time are in a very poor state, but there is a partially visible record for a burial of John Davey on 16th September (died Broadwall).  The age, however, is different, 69 and although no year appears on the actual record, it is listed as referring to 1847.  My initial thought was that it might be the burial record of another close relative (perhaps my ancestor's father) but checking with civil death registration there is nothing for a John Davey in that part of South London for September 1847.  Having read that many burials at Christchurch, Blackfriars Road were removed and reinterred at Brookwood Cemetery I wondered if a record was made at the time of those burials individually.  If so and my ancestor was among them, it might provide an answer to the above mystery.  Does anyone know if such records were kept at Brookwood?  All good wishes,  Paul.   

Offline Tonykelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brookwood Cemetery, reburials from Christchurch, Blackfriars Road.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
The cemetery records for Brookwood cemetery are held by the Surrey History Centre (the Surrey record office) in Woking so it might be worthing getting in touch: 

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/heritage-culture-and-recreation/archives-and-history/surrey-history-centre

Tony Kelly
Monumental Inscriptions
West Surry Family History Society
http://wsfhs.org