Author Topic: The Beck Family St Helier  (Read 6362 times)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Beck Family St Helier
« on: Thursday 22 June 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
I am putting together the Family Tree of my late sister-in-law for her children etc.

One of Brenda’s 2xGgmothers was Jane Moignard born 1830 in St Helier, Jersey.  With access to Jersey records her pedigree seems reasonably straightforward.  However, her husband is a different matter; he was William Richard Beck born probably at the very end of 1830 in St Helier.  His baptism took place on 2 January 1831, as the son of William Beck and Mary Moles.  Problems arise with this couple as I can find no record after the baptism of their second son John James in 1833, again at St Helier.  All I have to trace them is the detail of their marriage on 18 July 1829 at St Helier.  This document says that William Beck was of the Parish of Charge (Chard?) in the County of Somerset and Mary Moles was of the Parish.

There is a possible baptism of a William Beck at Chard in 1811 but, until I have more information on his later life I am loathe to go forward on this.

By 1861 William Richard Beck (working as a Shoe Maker) was living in Walworth, Lambeth, Surrey.  Jane was there plus four children, the eldest of whom was Mary Jane born 6 Dec 1853 in St Helier.

I cannot find anything of either couple on the 1841 nor the 1851 Census.

Please can anybody help with any sort of information, that could assist towards tracing the elusive William Beck and Mary Moles.  Also anything on their son before he and his family left Jersey.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: The Beck Family St Helier
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Was his Father alive on William Richards M/C?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 June 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
All the Marriage Certificate (23 Dec 1850, Parish of St Helier) says is that his Father, William Beck was a Shoemaker.  It does not mention if he was deceased.

Tony

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 June 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can see Jane on the 1841 census

St Johns Road

George Moignard 45    mason
Jane                   40
Mary                  15 milliner
John                  14 shipwrights app.
Eliza                  12
JANE                 10
Ann                   8
Susan                6
Robert               4                     All born on same Island

HO107 /  1461 /  13 /  24 / 7

Can't see William on either census - have you tried searching out the Godparents listed on his and his brothers baptisms ~ Richard Randel and Elizabeth Randell nee MOLES ? If the parents had passed away they could be with them, but I can't find them either.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 June 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
No, I have not looked at the brother's godparents but will do so later.

Tony

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 June 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
I've had no luck either in tracing the Becks in earlier Census either.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline debA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Did you find your William Beck? I'm looking for mine with similarities to yours.
My William Beck was probably born around 1806 in (?) England. He died before 1857. He was shoemaker. He had a son Thomas b1833 (or 1832) in St. Heliers, Jersey where he and his wife (?) lived for a time. Son Thomas was also a shoemaker and married Lydia Doorey in Lambeth, Surrey. He died in 1895 in Wandsworth. I'm wondering if there is a connection to the Wm Beck you were looking for.

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 March 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
I think the simplest answer is that I have found nothing definitive.  However, on the balance of probability, I believe that the William Beck, that fathered William Richard, was baptised at Chard, Somerset on 14 April 1811.  He was the son of Richard and Betty (nee Palfrey) Beck.

William Beck married Mary Moles on 18 July 1829 at St Helier, when he was said to be of the Parish of Charge (Chard) Somerset.  Apart from this marriage all I have been able to find is two baptisms where William is noted to be a Shoemaker.  I have not found any baptism for a Thomas although that doesn't mean one does not exist.  I have not found any death nor census returns!

Apart from the clear link to Chard, the Beck Family has a history of Shoemakers, including in all likelihood William's elder brother Richard.

There is also a Will of a Samuel Palfrey (father to a Betty) who was a Shoemaker of Chard.

So, as I say nothing to be 100% on but, some good circumstantial evidence.

Best wishes,
Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Some additional circumstantial evidence.

There are two further marriages, in St Helier, of Becks from Chard in Somerset.

1826 July 30 Ann Beck (John Burniket) born 1806 at Chard, older sister to William?
1833 Apr 8 John Beck (Mary Ingram of Woodland, Dorset)

Tony