Author Topic: The Beck Family St Helier  (Read 6326 times)

Offline debA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Beck Family St Helier
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tony for this information.

Off to search in that direction.

Deb

Offline debA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 June 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
An update on what I have discovered re: Beck Family St. Helier - 
son William was born 1831 and the godparent was Richard Randal, father Wm, a shoemaker, mother Mary(Moles)
In 1833 a son John James was born, godparent Elizabeth Randall(nee Moles - wife to Richard Randal) and John Thomas Desjardins, father Wm., a shoemaker and mother Mary (Moles)

It's highly likely that the person entering the information in the register got the godfather John Thomas muddled with the son John James.

Around 1850's both Wm Beck and Thomas Beck - both shoemakers - appear in London England, living not far from each other.

Thomas Beck appears on every census taken in London, England from 1861 to 1891 as having been born in Jersey, Channel Islands in 1833 and occupation as a shoemaker.
Thomas Beck's first son was named Thomas John. On his son's death certificate, it states his fathers first name was John and on his marriage certificate to his second wife, his father is listed as Thomas John.

In 1881, Thomas Beck was in the Battersea Infirmary. Perhaps details during his stay there may provide additional detail to confirm the mis-entry in the Baptism record but those details are not on-line. Searching for the records personally is not possible as I live in another country.

(John) Thomas Beck born April 1833 St. Heliers died 1900 (or 1901) Clapham, Battersea, London. Married to Lydia Lewis (Doorey)b1841-d1927
Lydia is buried in Morden Parish (Croydon) Surrey and most likely Thomas is buried there too.

Deb

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 June 18 00:33 BST (UK) »
A John Thomas Dujardin did exist at that time in Jersey. He was born in 1810 and was a China and Glass Merchant - whether he was the godfather is of course another question.

Offline debA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 June 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Since Dujardin sounds like Desjardins he might well be the godfather.

Offline debA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 November 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Yet another update on the Beck Family of St. Helier...

On a passenger of list 1833 arriving in New York, there are a number of Becks - Sarah, John & Ann and their spouses & children.

Richard Beck & Betty Palfrey had at least 9 children.

#1 child Sarah Beck b1796 Chard, married John Thorn in 1820, Chard,and in 1826 moved to Jersey, Channel Islands. I think they had 8 children there. In 1833 they appear on the manifest to NYC.

#2 child was John Beck b1798 Chard. He married Mary Ingram in Jersey, Channel Island, 1833. He also appears on the same manifest. Interestingly, in his will of 1862 in Busti, Chautauqua, NY, is mentioned Richard (brother) and William ...could this be William & Mary Moles? along with other relatives such as Sally Thorn and John & Richard Barnecott, 2 of Anne Beck's children....and others who are likely married children of his siblings. No other siblings were mentioned so does that mean they weren't living or weren't living in USA?

#5 child was Anne Beck b1806 Chard. She married John Barnecott 1826, Jersey, C.I. They had 3 children. John Barnecott died in 1833, Jersey, C.I. but  widow Anne sailed with her 3 children along with her brother and sister in later that year. I think she re-married in NY to a man named Rowe.

I haven't found the emigration documents for Richard and Betty Palfrey, nor for William and Mary Moles. However in an 1860 Census for NYC, Richard appears and there is a gravestone for he and Betty (Elizabeth) in Busti, Chautauqua, NY, USA.

Meanwhile, the son of William Beck & Mary Moles - John James Beck a.k.a. Thomas Beck b1833 St. Heliers is elusive. Every census, every marriage certs for himself and his children and every baptism certs for his children has his name being Thomas.
Sometime between Aug. 1899, when he signed the marriage cert. for his son John George, and the 1901 Battersea census where his wife Lydia is a widow - he died. But I cannot find his death record anywhere. Not on Ancestry, FindMyPast, GRO.
I did find a Thomas Beck that died in 1900, Croydon, but it wasn't him.

It appears from what I have found though is a number of the Richard & Betty's children moved to St. Heliers around 1826. Some left in 1833, others around 1850's and many went to New York, USA

Deb

Offline debA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 April 19 14:23 BST (UK) »
The mystery of the correct name for the son of William Beck & Mary Moles is solved.

He is Thomas James Beck b1833, St. Heliers, Jersey.

Godparents: John James Desjardins and Elizabeth Randall (sister of Mary Moles)

On the St. Heliers baptism register it appears as John James Beck - likely muddled with godparent. Throughout his whole life, we went by Thomas as per census and his signature on children's marriage certificates.

On his first born son's birth certificate, his wife Lydia was the informant and entered the father's name as Thomas James Beck.

I cannot find his death date but is was between 1899-1901 in Battersea where he lived after leaving Jersey.

The whereabouts of his parents William Beck b1811 Chard, Somerset  and Mary Moles b1811 St. Heliers, Jersey after 1833 remains a mystery.

Deb

Offline johnfischer66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
The records of St Heller in Jersey show that Mary Moles, wife of William, was buried on Nov 2, 1833 

Offline debA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 20:51 BST (UK) »
The Mary Moles that died in 1833 was the wife of William Moles. The whereabouts of their daughter Mary b1811 and her husband Wiliam Beck b1811 remains a mystery. While William's siblings and parents left Jersey for the US, it appears that William and Mary stayed in Jersey. Their sons, William Richard b1831 and Thomas James b1833 appear in the late 1850's in London. Both employed as shoemakers as was their father.
William Richard married Jane Moignard in 1850 in Jersey and had their first child b1853 in Jersey. Their second child was born 1856 in Shorditch. Thomas James married in 1857 to Lydia Lewis Doorey in London.
In the will of John Beck who died in the US,  part of his estate was left to his brother William Beck. So he must have been alive in 1862...but where was he and his wife Mary Moles?